Advice Request PatchMyPC, brief question

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
When I told my friend about it, he said to me this:

"It is an additional extra code that is not needed. Applications to update drivers are bloatware and junk wear. The best practice is for the user to just simply manually check for updates for his applications by himself."

So sadly I couldn't convince him. :(

I forgot to let him know that:
"Patch My PC Updater is a portable application meaning that it doesn’t install on your PC. To uninstall Patch My PC, simply delete PatchMyPC.exe."

But I doubt knowing that, will change his mind.
Any idea?

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
I don't see anything wrong with it, especially since it is portable as you mentioned. Most programs now days have an auto-update feature (especially security software), so it really seems like a personal preference.

One argument could be that you may have multiple software that you don't run very frequently (and thus the auto-update feature might not have a chance to run), and running a third-party update checker might be less work than manually opening all your different programs to check.

I think its most beneficial for people that don't always have internet access, but I don't know what type of software that is often ran 'offline' and requires updates would really be these days.

Edit: Actually, I tether my internet, so it wouldn't be a horrible idea to run something like this at the begining of the month when my data is reset, to save having to do it when I am being throttled, but then again there aren't that many software updates which use large amounts of data.

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Patch My PC with a single click you have all the programs updated and you avoid having to manually check for updates and almost all updates fix many things. It's like saying why update windows with windows update if I can download the updates manually and install them.
Good luck.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
There's a myriad of software that gives no indication of an update being available until after it's been launched. Being able to update all of this software en masse, and on a schedule, is infinitely useful and I'd argue outweighs whatever perceived redundancy your friend believes it to be.

Regardless, I agree with @SecureKongo. Don't waste your time trying to convince him if he's happy updating his software manually.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Applications to update drivers are bloatware and junk wear.
Looks like your friend never even tried PatchMyPC. Firstly, it doesn't update drivers and just like you said it's a portable program which simply checks if a new version of the installed applications are available then downloads that from the vendor's server to install them. You can also make it not to download and install apps automatically. I actually use it to only check for updates, and then I download new versions manually.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Any idea?
It designed to be used by IT admins (enterprises), who have to pay for it. We are lucky, that they allowed common users to use it and even for free, similar to Forticlient AV.
It is literally useless to people, who do not care about security and privacy and have plenty of time to waste doing useless stuff, like updating apps, good for them. 🙃
Looks like your friend never even tried PatchMyPC. Firstly, it doesn't update drivers
To be fair, it contains 2 driver updaters, since they were demanded by paid customers to handle driver updates.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
When I told my friend about it, he said to me this:

"It is an additional extra code that is not needed. Applications to update drivers are bloatware and junk wear. The best practice is for the user to just simply manually check for updates for his applications by himself."

So sadly I couldn't convince him. :(

I forgot to let him know that:
"Patch My PC Updater is a portable application meaning that it doesn’t install on your PC. To uninstall Patch My PC, simply delete PatchMyPC.exe."

But I doubt knowing that, will change his mind.
Any idea?

Hello not all applications for update your PC are bloatware, don't see so much YouTubers, some are very good, some are very bad.
For example, I have two laptops an ACER and one Huawei, the Huawei application for update drivers is very good and make an excellent service. In the other and the Acer application is garbage, the updates are release, and it doesn't show you the new drivers, and they already are in the support page.

For programs update, I tested a lot of programs, and they are very limited "patch my pc" is one of them, very bad, your friend are right this program ill not be a must-have.
After tested a lot, for me, the best its SUMO, support a lot of software and make a fantastic job, for me it's the only one I can recommend.

1612107844580.png

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hello not all applications for update your PC are bloatware, don't see so much YouTubers, some are very good, some are very bad.
For example, I have two laptops an ACER and one Huawei, the Huawei application for update drivers is very good and make an excellent service. In the other and the Acer application is garbage, the updates are release, and it doesn't show you the new drivers, and they already are in the support page.

For programs update, I tested a lot of programs, and they are very limited "patch my pc" is one of them, very bad, your friend are right this program ill not be a must-have.
After tested a lot, for me, the best its SUMO, support a lot of software and make a fantastic job, for me it's the only one I can recommend.

View attachment 253665
Is it free?

Reactions: show-Zi and Cortex

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Yes, but its UI is ugly. PatchMyPC has better UI.

Also, is SUMo, a portable app like PatchMyPC? I didn't find any info on that on their website.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.