_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
PC Matic has the well deserved reputation of "CrapWare".
It will take a lot to change that around, lets see how they go about this.
This is going to be interesting to follow.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
However the problem here where dirty tactics will remain the same. Surprising about the developer background however not enough to change the overall reputation.

Dodi Glenn

Level 1
Sep 15, 2016
Hello all,

I saw the mention of me in this post, so I thought I would chime in. As pointed out, I was one of the originals from the CounterSpy/VIPRE team. Currently, I'm the Vice President of Cyber Security with PC Pitstop. Also, I sit on the board of AMTSO, an antimalware testing standards organization. I've been in the cyber security industry for over 13 years.

I can honestly say that before joining the company, I looked at not only the product, but also the company itself. I can say with certainty the product isnt malware/adware/ransomware/crapware etc. I would never work for a company that produces software such as that, or behaves in a negative manner.

I know some people have critiqued our commercials, for being a bit edgy, and to be honest, we've toned them down a bit. Yes, we offer PC optimization, however, those features are legacy features, and date back to the Windows XP days, when it was more useful for the operating system. We still offer patch management/vulnerability updates and driver updates, and I think those are both beneficial, regardless of the operating system.

Where I find PC Matic working the best, is with the Super Shield feature in the product, otherwise known as the whitelist. Coming from the traditional blacklist type of antivirus product, it was always a cat and mouse game. We created signatures and heuristics, but the hackers would change a few lines of code, and the malware would go undetected.

The way PC Matic works is by only allowing trusted applications to run. Instead of someone manually parsing the system, our research team looks for good files, and adds them to our global whitelist. Yes, there are false positives and heck, even blacklist AV products have them. We address the false positives typically in 4 hours or less. If the file is unknown to us, we get sent some metadata which will allow the researchers to determine whether or not the files are good or bad. My personal view is I'd rather not be able to run a one off application, than to get infected with Locky or some other ransomware, which encrypts all of my files. In the event the FP needs to be executed immediately, you can always locally whitelist the product, so it won't be blocked from running.

If anyone wants to contact me, please feel free to start a conversation. I'm more than happy to answer any question and if anyone wants to test drive the product, I can create an activation key for them.

Best wishes,

Dodi Glenn
VP, Cyber Security

rosendalek

Level 3
Verified
Aug 16, 2016
If anyone wants to contact me, please feel free to start a conversation. I'm more than happy to answer any question and if anyone wants to test drive the product, I can create an activation key for them.
I'm game, lets see how it does against a really messed up virtual machine with over 8000 pieces of malware, over a qtr of which are zero day. And lets see if It cant remove or block at least 75%

Reactions: FrFc1908

Dodi Glenn

Level 1
Sep 15, 2016
I'm game, lets see how it does against a really messed up virtual machine with over 8000 pieces of malware, over a qtr of which are zero day. And lets see if It cant remove or block at least 75%
Hi Rosendalek,

I'd be glad to let you put PC Matic to the test. I'll send you a PM with some information on how to get started.

eli573

Apr 3, 2017
I don't like reviving 1/2 year old posts, but now They've got an advert about how this product has a better detection rate than other AV products. Apparently Avast, Avira, PC-cillin, and others are inferior to it's majestic -ness. I find this highly unlikely. Not to mention that there are the thousands of people, who don't know what goes on inside of that magical Dell box, who will actually buy it. I feel bad for them.

P.S. I have got them lying for certain, they said that PC Matic was made in the US and therefore better than all the other competitors. McAffee is currently run under Intel Security, which started and still is based in the USA, California to be specific. I'm by no means endorsing McAffee, it is the worst AV out there. It was just the only thing I saw on the commercial as foreign, as well as others. So, no, McAffee isn't from India, as stated in the advert. So they are clearly capable of lying in their adverts.

[Edit]: PC-cillin, Trend Micro, same thing.
[Edit 2]: I'd be willing to test PC Matic on a VM or real hardware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.