Solved PC won't boot into OS with the OS installed on SSD connected to the motherboard

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
PC won't boot into OS with the OS installed on SSD connected to the motherboard
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
check the bios.
I have 3 hard drives connected to my PC, but if I try to boot into the OS with the OS installed on SSD only without the other 2 hard drives, my PC refused to boot into Windows until I plug in other 2 hard drives which is a typical hard disk drive not SSD. My SSD has AHCI mode enable as well. The Sata cable that connected with the OS installed on SSD plugged into Sata cable 1 port on my motherboard. So if my two hard disk drives die, I won't be able to boot into the OS with the OS installed on SSD. Please help guys. I don't know what to do.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I have 3 hard drives connected to my PC, but if I try to boot into the OS with the OS installed on SSD only without the other 2 hard drives, my PC refused to boot into Windows until I plug in other 2 hard drives which is a typical hard disk drive not SSD. My SSD has AHCI mode enable as well. The Sata cable that connected with the OS installed on SSD plugged into Sata cable 1 port on my motherboard. So if my two hard disk drives die, I won't be able to boot into the OS with the OS installed on SSD. Please help guys. I don't know what to do.
It sounds like your System partition is on one of the two HDD's and the Boot partition is on the SSD. A screen shot from Disk Management will confirm this.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Okay, I just figure out what cause the problem but I have no clue how to fix it. I don't remember installed OS or have anything OS installed onto my Hard Drive Number 2.
Apparently, without Hard Drive Number 2, my PC cannot boot into the OS. It will brings me back to the BIOS.
So how I can fix this guys? Please help. I don't remember have anything OS installed connection with this Hard Drive Number 2.

If my Hard Drive Number 2 die, I cannot boot into the OS. Without Hard Drive Number 3, I can boot into the OS. Without Hard Drive Number 2, I cannot boot into the OS if my Hard Drive 1 still alive.

Hard Drive Number 1: SSD with OS installed

Hard Drive Number 2: HDD with games installed

Hard Drive Number 3: HDD with games and installed

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 393
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Upvote 0

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
The System Reserved partition is on the wrong drive, typically that would be at the beginning of Disk 0, that would have happened while installing the operating system.

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
The System Reserved partition is on the wrong drive, typically that would be at the beginning of Disk 0, that would have happened while installing the operating system.

How do you do this step? "Copy everything from the system reserved partition to the newly created partition. It should include Boot folder, bootmgr and BOOTSECT.BAK. "

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
It says
" Copy everything from the system reserved partition to the newly created partition. It should include Boot folder, bootmgr and BOOTSECT.BAK. "

How do you do that? There's no system reserved partition or anything associated with OS files and folder on my Hard Drive Number 2?
It cannot be seen from within Windows, you can use some boot cd tool to just clone the partition to a selected unpartitioned space. See the Method 2

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
This type of issue can be very unnerving, just read the instruction and stay calm, you got this. (y)

Can I delete the System Reserved Partition on Hard Drive Number 2 after cloning it to my Hard Drive 1 with the OS installed?

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
So if I cloning the System Reserved Partition to my Hard Drive Number 1, then I can delete the current System Reserved Partition on Hard Drive Number 2?
  1. Create 350MB Unpartitioned space on SSD (DISK 0)
  2. Clone System Reserved Partition in that allocation. Most tools can do this, Minitool, Easeus, AOMEI...
  3. Try booting the OS, if fine ==>
  4. Try removing the Disk 2 from mobo, if OS boots normally ==>
  5. Delete Reserved partition from the Disk 2

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
  2. Clone System Reserved Partition in that allocation. Most tools can do this, Minitool, Easeus, AOMEI...

So I only need to create a 350MB unallocated space

So right click on my C drive and click Shrink volume and type 350?

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

What do I type in unallocated space before and after?

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
So I only need to create a 350MB unallocated space

So right click on my C drive and click Shrink volume and type 350?
Yes, but by 350MB. You can follow the steps from the article above. Please backup important data if you are unfamiliar with partitioning.

Note : It's a lot easier and safer to manipulate partitions from outside of Windows. I use Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD, version 9.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.