Troubleshoot PC won't shut down (because of the power save mode)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Save mode stops PC from shutting down.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Looked around the internet, but not finding the solution yet.
PC only restarts, or shuts down (manually) pushing power down for 5 seconds. Only way it powers down. :rolleyes:

I also cannot get out of save mode (on desktop) with the PC or mouse, nothing happends... it stays in power save mode... until I force shutdown on it, and have to start up again.

I hope there's an easy fix to this one... Clicking "Never" on Power save helped get rid of it, but yet the PC still goes into save mode when shut down is clicked on. o_O

Any help or advice would be great, (y)

Reactions: Dave Russo
Solution
Both Issues Solved! :love:

1. Windows power save mode shutdown issue (FIXED)
I had to force an admin-command prompt, to stop Windows power save mode from stopping the shutdown process. here's a youtube video from MD Tech on how to do it. Tip two worked for me and seemed to for everyone else who left youtube comments.

(y)
2. Monitor won't wake from power save mode (FIXED)
This website link below helped me to disable the *USB selected suspended* this was my issue it was on "Enabled". Now I can power save my new PC when temporarily away from it. :)
If your monitor refuses to wake up after entering power save mode | Freeware Downloads | TheFreeWindows

Thanks...
L

Local Host

Is possible you changed what the Power Button does,
1604236436334.png

Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
If you can rule out other Windows factors, you might have to consider a hardware issue/s. There's a Lenovo diagnostic tool but I'm not sure if it'll run on your machine. Worth a try, maybe. Otherwise, you can look if Fast Startup is disabled. Control Panel / Power Options /Choose what the power buttons do /Change settings that are currently unavailable.

If the machine has USB ports the newer variety of external CD players may be backwards-compatible--provided the power supply is delivering adequate power via the 5th voltage rail. This assumes you have a 64 bit machine.

Source

Attachments

• voltage rails.PNG
    voltage rails.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
If possible, one way to test hardware issues is to run live linux distro "straight-outta" usb stick. So we can narrow down the problem if its a hardware or software related. Linux Mint x64 in live usb mode comes to mind, it does have the best hardware support in "live mode".

Kind regards,
-sepik

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Power Policy:pCI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In)

The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off.

Im going to further the tests with power.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
If the machine has USB ports the newer variety of external CD players may be backwards-compatible--provided the power supply is delivering adequate power via the 5th voltage rail. This assumes you have a 64 bit machine.
Here's my energy report, how does it look? I only copied the error or warning spots...

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000230 EndHTML:000014314 StartFragment:000002033 EndFragment:000014282 StartSelection:000002033 EndSelection:000014238 SourceURL:file:///C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Lenovo/LDiag/energy-report.html

Analysis Results​

Errors​

Power Policy:pCI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In)
The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off.
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device NameUSB Root Hub
Host Controller IDPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C2D
Host Controller LocationPCI bus 0, device 26, function 0
Device IDUSB\VID_8086&PID_1C2D
Port Path
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device NameUSB Composite Device
Device IDUSB\VID_0461&PID_4E04
Port Path1,2
Device NameGeneric USB Hub
Device IDUSB\VID_8087&PID_0024
Port Path1
Device NameGeneric USB Hub
Host Controller IDPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26
Host Controller LocationPCI bus 0, device 29, function 0
Device IDUSB\VID_8087&PID_0024
Port Path1
Device NameUSB Mass Storage Device
Device IDUSB\VID_0BDA&PID_0181
Port Path1,2
Device NameUSB Root Hub
Device IDUSB\VID_8086&PID_1C26
Port Path
Device NameUSB Input Device
Device IDUSB\VID_17EF&PID_6019
Port Path1,1
Device NameUSB Mass Storage Device
Device IDUSB\VID_0930&PID_6544
Port Path1,3
Device Drivers:
Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumption.
Device NamePCI Serial Port
Device IDPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3D&SUBSYS_102517AA&REV_04\3&11583659&0&B3
Device Status0x1802400
Device Problem Code0x1c

Warnings​

Platform Timer Resolution:platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units)156245
Maximum Timer Period (100ns units)156250
Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request
A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.
Requested Period10000
Requesting Process ID8344
Requesting Process Path\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Lenovo\Lenovo Diagnostics Tool\LenovoDiagnostics.exe
Power Policy:Display timeout is long (Plugged In)
The display is configured to turn off after longer than 10 minutes.
Timeout (seconds)3600
Power Policy:Sleep timeout is long (Plugged In)
The computer is configured to automatically sleep after longer than 30 minutes.
Timeout (seconds)3600

Reactions: Venustus and plat
Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Here's my energy report, how does it look? I only copied the error or warning spots...
Honestly, I don't know how to interpret those findings and don't want to guess as that wouldn't be helpful at all. Hopefully, someone with experience reading this type of output will offer some insights there. Or if you don't want to wait, maybe plug in some key words and look online for others with the same issue?

Very good news about the hardware diagnostics results. Good to get that out of the way.

Maybe also check if you have latsst chipset drivers and if BIOS needs an update (but do some checking around about any later BIOS versions, an update may not always cure the problem at hand). You can check on the Lenovo site, I think you have to input the make and model to get the right ones, if available.

Upvote 0

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
Try this method
1. Right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager.
2. Find the Intel(R) Management Engine Interface and right-click it.
3. Select Properties and open Power Management tab.
4. Unmark the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option.
5. Click OK to save the changes and close Device Manager.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Very good news about the hardware diagnostics results. Good to get that out of the way.
Yes! I am not too shocked though as the seller I purchased the PC from, Has an online feedback of 99.7% and the PC was listed as cleaned, tested with windows 10 activated/updated.

It also has put in a bigger HDD, RAM, and Graphics Card then it's original state.

The hardware is a bit aged, but for the $ it was a good find I think, much stronger CPU/Graphics etc then my last Tower.

Reactions: Venustus
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Try this method
1. Right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager.
2. Find the Intel(R) Management Engine Interface and right-click it.
3. Select Properties and open Power Management tab.
4. Unmark the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option.
5. Click OK to save the changes and close Device Manager.
Having some stops at method # 3-5.

device.jpg

Reactions: Venustus
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Both Issues Solved! :love:

1. Windows power save mode shutdown issue (FIXED)
I had to force an admin-command prompt, to stop Windows power save mode from stopping the shutdown process. here's a youtube video from MD Tech on how to do it. Tip two worked for me and seemed to for everyone else who left youtube comments.

(y)
2. Monitor won't wake from power save mode (FIXED)
This website link below helped me to disable the *USB selected suspended* this was my issue it was on "Enabled". Now I can power save my new PC when temporarily away from it. :)
If your monitor refuses to wake up after entering power save mode | Freeware Downloads | TheFreeWindows

Thanks everyone for the fast replies and suggestions. :cool::coffee:
(y)

Upvote 0
Solution

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.