Advice Request PeerBlock as an ad blocker--your view?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I know uBlock Origin is well-regarded as an ad-blocker. However it's a browser extension. Not everybody uses a browser in the Gecko or Chromium browser families. (I use Maxthon myself.)

I just noticed that PeerBlock has ad-blocking capability. So I'm wondering if anybody can offer an opinion as to how good PeerBlock is as an ad-blocker.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
PeerBlock blocks access to and from non-secure IP addresses of associations, government, advertising servers and with spyware or adware, using an updateable list.
I remember the main use of this tool was in the P2P circuit, but certainly nothing prevents you to use it to block advertising.
The fact is that it doesn't seem up to date for years and also I don't know if the IP lists are updated at least with a certain frequency.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
PeerBlock blocks access to and from non-secure IP addresses of associations, government, advertising servers and with spyware or adware, using an updateable list.
I remember the main use of this tool was in the P2P circuit, but certainly nothing prevents you to use it to block advertising.
The fact is that it doesn't seem up to date for years and also I don't know if the IP lists are updated at least with a certain frequency.

Thank you, Winter Soldier. I have heard repeatedly that the IP lists are continually updated.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Andytay70: PeerBlock still remains to be an open source product for the long time, although the development process is already been stagnant.

Reactions: ZeroDay

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
So at this point, it seems some of the lists are paid and this means if you do not want to spend money, probably PeerBlock will offer incomplete protection. .. it would be better to switch to other known solutions, in my opinion.

Reactions: frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't think it would be effective as an Adblocker/AdTracker, but I don't know about Blocking IP ranges for these things. There may be a lot of outdated IP Addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.