Status
Not open for further replies.

maaster

Level 1
Hi all,
I have a pen drive.When I plug it in my 2 laptops I have the drivers are installing in both the laptops but it is not showing up!!
In one laptop it is coming as "removable disk" in my computer but when I try to open it ,it is showing "pls insert a disk in to the drive".
In the other laptop it is not even shown as "removable disk".

I have tried some steps mentioned here
http://joshua14.homelinux.org/blog/?p=1213
but they don't work.

pls. help me...
 

jamescv7

Level 61
Trusted
Verified
Hi :)

There could be a possibility that the port where USB attached couldn't recognized so try the other slots and wait until finish installing the drivers thus it may show correctly.

Or go to Device Manager and find add new hardware so that it refresh when something new detected.
 

maaster

Level 1
jamescv7 said:
Hi :)

There could be a possibility that the port where USB attached couldn't recognized so try the other slots and wait until finish installing the drivers thus it may show correctly.

Or go to Device Manager and find add new hardware so that it refresh when something new detected.
I plugged in all ports but no use....
Hardware is being installed when plugged in but it is not visible...pls. go through the steps in the link I gave above .I tried all the steps in that....
 

maaster

Level 1
jamescv7 said:
Try to uninstall that specific driver and install again.

Or try this solution.
If you see the problem is not with the laptop (tried in 2 laptops)...some problem with the pendrive (I think after virus infection )......
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Do you have important files on the pendrive? what kind of files? basic documents, pictures, music, etc.

The reason I ask is maybe the info is corrupted, you might have to reformat it.

Also does the pendrive have a slider lock? maybe it is locked.

What brand of pendrive do you have? maybe it is not supported by your other OS. Check vendors site for any issues and proper drivers.

I have an older pendrive that works fine on Windows XP but will not work on Vista, Windows 7 or 8 because it is not supported.

Thanks.:D
 

jamescv7

Level 61
Trusted
Verified
Any luck to attempt chkdsk from command prompt?

Fot compatiblity a slight problem that may not work from newer OS however a possible to detect the hardware itself.
 

maaster

Level 1
Littlebits said:
Do you have important files on the pendrive? what kind of files? basic documents, pictures, music, etc.

The reason I ask is maybe the info is corrupted, you might have to reformat it.

Also does the pendrive have a slider lock? maybe it is locked.

What brand of pendrive do you have? maybe it is not supported by your other OS. Check vendors site for any issues and proper drivers.

I have an older pendrive that works fine on Windows XP but will not work on Vista, Windows 7 or 8 because it is not supported.

Thanks.:D
I do not know what was in that.I gave my pen drive to my friend.I think his system had virus (not sure)...When he gave it back the problem occcured..
Kingston Data traveller 109...
It worked well in windows in the same systems before....
This link explains the same problem I have
http://www.ardamis.com/2009/07/02/usb-drive-unusable-unformattable-and-reporting-0-bytes-capacity/
but the solution is for scandisk but I don't find any softwares for kingston in their website...
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
My best bet is the pendrive has died. Try to reformat it, if that don't work then it is probably dead.

Pendrives go bad sometimes just like hard drives and can not be fixed the only option is to buy a new pendrive.

I seriously doubt that malware could cause this problem. Your friend might have left the pendrive where it got exposed to heat or sunlight and got too hot or possibly something got spilled on it and it got wet. Maybe got dropped or abused. Still there is the possibility that it was defective when you bought it. How old is the pendrive? maybe still has a warranty.

Thanks.:D
 

Imran

New Member
Try formatting your pendrive on Ubuntu.
You can run live Ubuntu from USB :)
Open "Dash" by pressing Super key(windows button) and then type "Disks" and then hit " Enter ". Insert your pendrive....
How to format your pendrive using Disks on Ubuntu
I was having the same problem with my external hdd and i was unable to format and recover my data(because it was impossible especially with windows) but i formatted my hdd with Ubuntu and it still works fine.

Thanks for reading this :D
 

maaster

Level 1
Littlebits said:
My best bet is the pendrive has died. Try to reformat it, if that don't work then it is probably dead.

Pendrives go bad sometimes just like hard drives and can not be fixed the only option is to buy a new pendrive.

I seriously doubt that malware could cause this problem. Your friend might have left the pendrive where it got exposed to heat or sunlight and got too hot or possibly something got spilled on it and it got wet. Maybe got dropped or abused. Still there is the possibility that it was defective when you bought it. How old is the pendrive? maybe still has a warranty.

Thanks.:D
yes it is still in warranty period...how to reformat it?
 

maaster

Level 1
Imran said:
Try formatting your pendrive on Ubuntu.
You can run live Ubuntu from USB :)
Open "Dash" by pressing Super key(windows button) and then type "Disks" and then hit " Enter ". Insert your pendrive....
How to format your pendrive using Disks on Ubuntu
I was having the same problem with my external hdd and i was unable to format and recover my data(because it was impossible especially with windows) but i formatted my hdd with Ubuntu and it still works fine.

Thanks for reading this :D
I will try and say what happened...
 

niyatj

New Member
are u already tried Diskpart mentioned in that link ? and are you tried to format the disk? also there is one Windows USB trubleshooter here is the link try
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_usb_diagnostics
 
Status
Not open for further replies.