Penetration Testers’ Guide to Windows 10 Privacy & Security

kewbyte

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 1, 2017
Hello everybody, I found this one: https://hackernoon.com/the-2017-pen...s-10-privacy-security-cf734c510b8d#.pfhhat2zz

What do you think about it?

Would you recommended it to make all these changes/tweaks/etc. for a productivity system?

I also would like to add that I like to play some games now and then (if it matters: with a gamepad).

Also I am not sure if it's worth to ditch MS Office for LibreOffice / OpenOffice?!

What do you guys think?

Regards.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Thanks for the find. I may need some of the tips there to set up an offline PC one day

Reactions: AtlBo

Hello everybody, I found this one: https://hackernoon.com/the-2017-pen...s-10-privacy-security-cf734c510b8d#.pfhhat2zz

What do you think about it?

Would you recommended it to make all these changes/tweaks/etc. for a productivity system?

I also would like to add that I like to play some games now and then (if it matters: with a gamepad).

Also I am not sure if it's worth to ditch MS Office for LibreOffice / OpenOffice?!

What do you guys think?

Regards.

You can follow that guide, but it will be quite the learning mis-adventure.

On top of it all, it's a highly customized security configuration - which means when there is a problem you will have to figure out if anything you customized is the cause or contributing to the problem.

There's a huge amount of important information and details not included in the article. For example, using BitLocker on a non-TPM device system - and what that means every time you boot your system and try to update non-Microsoft software. Generally it works like this... a USB with the decryption key must be installed every time you boot the system and one will have to disable BitLocker every time non-Microsoft software updates. Afterwards, you will have re-enable BitLocker. It's a huge hassle and the reason the vast majority of typical users don't use drive encryption.

Another example, Cisco Talos MBRFilter should not be installed on UEFI systems since the MBR code is never loaded; it is to be used on non-UEFI systems.

There's a whole lot more infos left out.

If one implements the entire guide, then it is a massive project - even for the tech\Windows savvy.

Last edited by a moderator:

kewbyte

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 1, 2017
Since I was going to format anyways I tried this Guide.

Well, applying all these "anti-spy"-tools break some, at least for me, important services.

Diagnostic poilicy service... This gave me a little headache, it is on automatic, but I can't seem to start it.

Connecting to my local Server is also impossible (gives me some errors, I tried to google them, but still no luck). So, at the end I was trying to figure out how to fix some issues, instead of having a productivity system.

My old configuration I used was totally fine (Only used W10Privacy and ShutUp10), so I might go back to this instead of fiddle around and try to "anti-spy" my Windows installation - Is it even possible to have a "anti-spy" Windows? Well, I also use OneDrive, MS Office, social media and stuff, so I think it is a little bit paradox and also overkill, since I never was infected anyways and 100% privacy is impossible imo, especially with Windows10 (or Windows at all).

No doubt it is a nice config, but all in all you need to fiddle with your system, dependable how you use your system.

Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.