Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
new performance test from av-comparatives

Performance Test October 2018 | AV-Comparatives

There are some changes !!!

av c.jpg

WD resource consumption is most notable immediately after system start, for about 10 to 30 seconds. This is on i7 systems.

I think for people that don't have much installed on their systems WD is not really an annoyance. For those that have lots installed, along with lower capacity resources, it is a problem.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

WD is remarkably piggish.

I'm shocked every time I do a Win10 reset on a PC how bad it feels until I disable WD and get a different suite installed. I'm a bit shocked that people that use WD don't notice this or at least how they can tolerate it.

For me, F-Secure feels lighter than Bullguard, Kaspersky feels lighter than both. So...

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
It's a while that I've been using WD and I have made an exclusion on "Program Files", "Program Files (x86)" and on the folder where I have portable apps (Re:HIPS will cover these areas).
I haven't noticed any slowdown on my PC

kaleci07

Level 2
Verified
Jul 6, 2015
"Kaspersky Lab investigated the results and discovered that a bug was recently introduced with updates. They then promptly released a fix for this, which has been distributed to all Kaspersky Lab customers automatically to address the observed performance issue. "

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
"Kaspersky Lab investigated the results and discovered that a bug was recently introduced with updates. They then promptly released a fix for this, which has been distributed to all Kaspersky Lab customers automatically to address the observed performance issue. "

So we can expect better scores next time. At-least the scores at AV-C are helping the AV manufacturers to fine-tune their products.

I take this Report with a tiny grain of salt.! Microsoft #1... Haha.

Its performance impact scores => higher indicates worse! Microsoft is in the last place :)

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm failing to recognise which is the problem with Windows Defender, and which specific systems it attacks with its performance issues. When I suggest people to stay away from Windows Defender the crowd splits in two: those who hate Defender and think as I do, and those who claim Windows Defender works perfect and each time they format a PC they deliver it with Microsoft's antivirus because "it performs really fluid". So I don't know if performance issues address specific systems, specific builds, specific hardware or it's just a bipolar piece of garbage can.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I'm failing to recognise which is the problem with Windows Defender, and which specific systems it attacks with its performance issues. When I suggest people to stay away from Windows Defender the crowd splits in two: those who hate Defender and think as I do, and those who claim Windows Defender works perfect and each time they format a PC they deliver it with Microsoft's antivirus because "it performs really fluid". So I don't know if performance issues address specific systems, specific builds, specific hardware or it's just a bipolar piece of garbage can.

I think in general we can get emotional and attached to products we like and have strong opinions on ones we don't like. I'm sure we've all been there, I know I have, but sometimes it's the root of these discussions. If you use a certain product (generally speaking) and you enjoy using it, then all of a sudden some people start saying, oh this product is a piece of crap, of course you may become a little defensive, especially if you paid money for it. We all have different experiences with the various programs available, for example some say WD is light, some say it's heavy, some say Kaspersky is light, some say they still find it heavy, so IMO it's very important to take advantage of the trail periods and test the program for yourself. Does that mean one person is wrong and the other is right? No it just means we have different experiences. Where there is an issue IMO is when people make comments on products that they either have not tried/used, or haven't tried it in like 8 years, as things can change.

Every program has their pros and cons. We all just need to find which one works best for us and our needs. Dispite what the various testing organizations and the HUB may say about a product's protection capabilities or its performance all that matters is how it works in the real world. Dispite the fact that we all say to take any test with a grain of salt, deep down we all still look to these tests to make us feel more comfortable in what we are using. Take that and combine that with the fear and paranoia that is generated on security forums in general and you have a recipe for heated arguments and debates.

Truth be told all major products, including WD, can do the job fairly well, as long as you practice safe habits, because every product, including a default deny setup can fail if you practice unsafe habits.

As to why WD is light for some and not others, it's a mystery for sure. There is an infinite amount of hardware and software configurations out there which can make it hard at times to track a problem for any particular product. Also, I think, atleast when it comes to performance, we all have a different perception on performance. What maybe considered fast to one person, might be considered slow to another.

At the end of the day just use what works best for you and your needs. Practice safe computing habits and you should be fine regardless of which program/setup you use. Just remember we all have different experiences with various products and we all just need to respect that. There's no right person or wrong person when it comes to choosing a product, just pick what works best for you. We're all here because we love security and technology and for me anyways, I just like talking and learning from people all over the world :)

Last edited by a moderator:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well stated, @Raiden . The computer setup is as unique as the one operating it so one size doesn't fit all. Wear your own shoes, not your next-door neighbor's. Windows Security has finally established itself as a worthy contender, so like anything else, performance hits would break the deal for me if/when choosing a software. By the way, in v. 1809 at least, you can enable group policy edits (search how to do it) in home version. I've already enabled behavioral monitoring there and so far: no problems, nags, what have you.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I think some of the problem is (as I remember) WD was particularly dreadful for a long time with dire results & wasn't really to be trusted, the same was the case with Norton which became a bloated mess & near-on impossible remove & had huge lumbering updates. People found other alternatives, with me ESET & Kaspersky. I'm quite happy with the AV I use & really see no reason to move to WD esp. as I see it's the worst solution for slowing a PC & some of the PC's I look after are not SOTA. I would now consider recommending WD but I've only just got there. Also I don't trust Microsoft hence me using O&O ShutUp. While ever I can afford the pittance my present AV cost I will probably stay with it, I don't really understand the 'has to be free' mentality either :)

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I think some of the problem is (as I remember) WD was particularly dreadful for a long time with dire results & wasn't really to be trusted, the same was the case with Norton which became a bloated mess & near-on impossible remove & had huge lumbering updates. People found other alternatives, with me ESET & Kaspersky. I'm quite happy with the AV I use & really see no reason to move to WD esp. as I see it's the worst solution for slowing a PC & some of the PC's I look after are not SOTA. I would now consider recommending WD but I've only just got there. Also I don't trust Microsoft hence me using O&O ShutUp. While ever I can afford the pittance my present AV cost I will probably stay with it, I don't really understand the 'has to be free' mentality either :)

This is a very good point! WD has definitely earned it's past reputation, since then Microsoft has made some significant improvements from where it was, but it can take a long time for people to come around. Your example of Norton is a very good example. Even though Symantec finally improved its past mess with Norton, I still see to this day random posts on various forums (from time to time) stating that Norton is a bloated mess, but their only experience was back when it was a bloated mess in the early 2000's and they haven't tried it since.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I'm disappointed that Emsisoft has fallen far behind. But then I looked at the review and it's really just the installation part that causes slowdown. I can see why. The behavior blocker raises a lot of flags during installation. Other than that I still prefer EAM because it doesn't bother my disk and at the most uses 0.7% of my CPU. But I have been running into more and more conflicts related to EAM and I can't help but wonder if the glitches and slowdowns are the cause of EAM or if Windows 10 1809 is just buggy. Either way Emsisoft needs to look at this and re-evaluate. It should be at the level of Eset!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.