Not open for further replies.

NZRADAR

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
Hi there MalwareTips Comunity

I've been looking at Norton Internet Security which I like alot its Light on my machine (cpu Q6600) I find its Intrusion Prevention Signatures really good. However as I understand its detection methods up front on a basic scan is not that great, but if I dive into Norton Power Eraser and do an Advanced Reputation scan which does cloud lookups it detects a truckload more files as bad and marks them for recommended delete. I just don't see why it doesn't equip the Normal front end interface with this scan ability. Apart from giving the user a greater confidence in its detection routines I don't see the logic of having there reputation scan in the back seat. I do know you can use the Norton insight to perform a scan on one individual file at a time which is ok but I really want to see this cloud look-up far more utilized in main program.
On a normal scan of the folder malwarepack 2014-03-27 (59) samples Norton took out 10 leaving 49
On a Norton Power Eraser Cloud Reputation scan of the malware folder it takes out 51 files leaving 8

To me the cloud reputation scan funtions need to be at the front alongside its standard signiture scan, this could give users a whole new perspective on the product
I understand that NIS works abit like Webroot; and that in NIS SONAR kicks in when a file is executed. but waiting for sonar to kick in is a bit like waiting for the results from an important exam to be announced. Maybe I am not understanding the whole product funtionality.

I'm just expressing myself here but feel free to add your bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.