Perplexed by Poweliks plus Nortons Poweliks Removal tool link

NZRADAR

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
Hi MalwareTips team , I can see this Poweliks infection is still a top hit on the removal list of infections that people seek help for and its removal is accomplished by special malware removal tools quite easily " in most cases".

I don't get how after a good chunk of time Internet Security and AV programs that are well known don't seem to be able to remove the Poweliks infection . I see programs with intrusion detection blocking malicious ip addresses and related attacks "Norton and Malwarebytes come to mind that I know of". What I don't get is why they don't seem to be able to remove the infected root source, at least that's my impression I get when looking at Malware removal help section. Is this really that hard for the Security company's to deal with or are they just slow. No disrespect for the hard work they already do and possibly they are researching for longer term solutions to this file-less infected registry method.

What are your thoughts and perspectives ?
I can appreciate the need for special removal tools for this infection, but really in my view this infection should have been slammed down weeks ago by the heavy hitting paid programs :confused:

NZRADAR

Updated Info Norton has released a dedicated Poweliks removal tool
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2014-111020-0511-99

Please if you feel unsure of what you are doing with there Poweliks removal tool and instructions then it would be prudent to seek the help of Malware removal experts here on MalwareTips as they are well equipped and trained in these special cases

Kind Regards
NZRADAR

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.