Personalize Edge built-in Tracking Protection with this tweak

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
But isn't that permission for the Other folder only? Why would that cause issues? :unsure:🤔
Yes, but I still can delete it with Explorer, so something does not work as I had expected it to be. Sorry for giving you false hope

1606767707270.png

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm trying a new folder called Other Backup and put an Other copy there. Let's see if that confounds M$. o_O

So I enabled µBO medium mode with ublock filters only. No Easy List, cosmetic filtering, etc. We'll see how that goes. It doesn't prompt anti-adblock pop-ups that way.

If only they'd expand their adblocking features ... . One can only wish.

Brave still wins out for me.(y):D

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Oldchool

I updated this morning (1-12-2020), looking at the Edge default blocklists in the AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Trust Protection Lists\1.0.0.18 folder, all blocklist have a date stamp of 22-10-2020. Could you have a look and post the date of your Edge build-in blocklists?

1606806232324.png

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I experienced the same with Yahoo news. Yahoo seems not included in the EU_US top ads & trackers list.

I had far better results with this config (on my girlfriend's laptop)
- disabled cosmetic filtering
- disabled include cosmetic filters from blocklists
- use AdGuard Fanoys annyances optimized
- use Adguard Easylists optimized
- use Adguard Easylist Privacy optimized

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I read a few post of @Gandalf_The_Grey which had links of Microsoft documentation. To wrap it up

Edge has two protection mechanisms: first is blocking data access, second is blocking all web requests (these include the 'dynamic' content ones like scripts, iframes, xmlhttprequest, fetch, Ajax, webrtc and websockets). Most adblockers have no storage access blocking mechanisms (only Adguard has $cookie to block setting cookies and Privacy Badge had a cookie blocklist).

Edge's data access blocking looks like Privacy Badger lowest level of blocking (only Edge is more powerful). WebRequest blocking is simular to well known ccntent blockers like AdblockPlus, AdGuard and uBlockOrigin. The Both option (blocking both data and requests from blacklisted domains) looks simular to uMatrix additional privacy option to (also) block cookies and data set from/by blacklisted domains. Edge also uses a Chrome mechanism called site engagement (link) In balanced mode.

So in Basic mode Edge only blocks data and requests from/to dangerous trackers (fingerprinting and cryptomining), in balanced mode Edge "only" blocks data access for the other Disconnect blocklists and has an option to relax these settings based on site-engagement score of a user with a particular website or organization. Only in Strict mode Edge blocks both (except for content category) making Edge anti-tracking resemble more like uMatrix (with increased privacy settings) than AdBlockplus/AdGuard/uBlockOrigin.

1608157324857.png

1608158610338.png

Because uBO does not has the (block) $cookie like Adguard has, it is a consideration to keep Edge anti-tracking enabled (in the default balanced mode) when you use uBlockOrigin. This will block setting cookies for all domains in the Disconnect blocklist which you have not bookmarked (I think to remember that bookmarking already gives a user interaction value of 5). googles user interaction score ranges from zero to 100, so an interaction score of 4.1 or higher is easily acquired (Microsoft seems to be afraid of false positives).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.