pfSense 2.5/Plus drops WireGuard

R2D2

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Apparently Netgate cocked up in the implementation of the new WG protocol in the kernel that was made available in Release 2.5 CE or pfSense Plus (factory edition). And the cats are at each others throats, well, figuratively speaking, with fur flying thick and fast over social media. Netgate has now dropped WG and is working on maintenance releases currently in the RC stage.

I upgraded my Netgate appliance from 2.4.5 P1 to pfSense + and have regretted it. Kernel panics galore and the damn thing is so flaky! Boot ups are uncertain, packages are not installed and configured properly. Rolling back to 2.4.5 P1 resolves the issue of kernel panics but not the package installer issue. Yeah, Netgate screwed up big time and for the 1st time since I purchased my appliance over 5 years ago I have had a very disappointing experience.Wireguard removed from pfSense 2.5/Plus versions & WireGuard Removed from pfSense® CE and pfSense® Plus Software Luckily I have a dual boot setup with OPNsense and that literally save the day for me. Thank you OPNsense!!

if you are a pfSense user do NOT upgrade to version 2.5 CE or Plus for now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.