Advice Request Phone OS vs Desktop OS and Security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Jonny Quest

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Hello :)

Something that has been on my mind for a while, is there a security difference between the two, in my case, Android and Windows in this regard,
is the smaller environment of Android OS easier to protect, compared the broader desktop environment of the Windows OS?

Is it easier to lock down security-wise our phones, or our notebooks? Do we more freely and at times without second guessing, download and run apps from Play Store, or is it the same with our PC's and all the sites we could download from, including freeware? Would you feel safer banking from a phone and having a banking phone app installed, or from a notebook behind Safepay, or Safe Money or the like?

What would you do or not do on a phone, that you would feel more secure about doing on a desktop?

I know it's a lot of questions, and I'm not expecting an answer to each one, but feel free to answer whatever strikes you to answer :)

TIA :)

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Plenty of bugs/exploits in to go around. Bad code doesn't discriminate from what I know. Windows has gotten much better in the last 8 years since Windows 10.

Personally, I do think Android/iOS are more secure than Windows. Because Apple & Google (lesser extent Samsung) can control the hardware stack to the software stack and with app stores can control what and when and how files are downloaded and updated. Whereas Windows concentrates on compatibility and lets any file from any source be used and abused.

Good news however is that security has improved a lot since 2015 on all OS's. Forcing firmware/security updates without optout has been the driving factor, that and sandboxing browsers and applications.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I tend to think iOS is much more tightly controlled than MacOS. I think Apple learned a lot of security lessons over the years with MacOS that gave iOS a head start.

Reactions: Jonny Quest

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A single observation angle can't guarantee Android or iOS is safer than Windows or Linux, and vice-versa.

I thought this was an interesting implementation that could arrive in Android 14 for supported hardware.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello :)

Something that has been on my mind for a while, is there a security difference between the two, in my case, Android and Windows in this regard,
is the smaller environment of Android OS easier to protect, compared the broader desktop environment of the Windows OS?

Is it easier to lock down security-wise our phones, or our notebooks? Do we more freely and at times without second guessing, download and run apps from Play Store, or is it the same with our PC's and all the sites we could download from, including freeware? Would you feel safer banking from a phone and having a banking phone app installed, or from a notebook behind Safepay, or Safe Money or the like?

What would you do or not do on a phone, that you would feel more secure about doing on a desktop?

I know it's a lot of questions, and I'm not expecting an answer to each one, but feel free to answer whatever strikes you to answer :)

TIA :)
Hello there,

There are several factors to consider when comparing the security of phone OS and desktop OS, particularly Android and Windows. While the smaller environment of Android OS might seem easier to protect, both platforms have their own unique security strengths and weaknesses.

1. Ecosystem control: Android has a more controlled ecosystem than Windows, with apps primarily coming from the Google Play Store. This can potentially make it more secure, as Google reviews apps for malicious content. Windows, on the other hand, allows users to download and install software from a wider range of sources, which can increase the risk of encountering malware.
  2. Software updates: Both Android and Windows release regular security updates, but the update process can be faster and more consistent on Windows. Android updates may be delayed depending on the device manufacturer and carrier, which can leave devices vulnerable to known security issues for longer periods.
  3. Sandboxing: Android uses a sandboxing approach, which isolates apps from each other and the system, reducing the risk of malware spreading between apps. Windows has introduced similar features but is often considered less strict in its implementation.
  4. User behavior: Security is also heavily influenced by user behavior. Users may be more inclined to download and run apps without a second thought on Android, while they might be more cautious on Windows. This can increase the risk of installing malicious apps on phones.
  5. Banking: Many users feel safer using banking apps on their phones due to the controlled ecosystem and the sandboxing approach of Android. Using a notebook behind a secure browser like Safepay or Safe Money can also be secure, but may be more prone to user error, like falling for phishing attacks or downloading malicious software.
Ultimately, the level of security for each platform depends on the user's behavior and understanding of best practices. To enhance security, it is essential to:

• Keep the OS and apps up to date
  • Install apps only from trusted sources
  • Use strong, unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication
  • Be cautious of phishing attacks and avoid clicking on suspicious links
  • Use security software like antivirus and firewalls, if available
There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to which platform is more secure, as it largely depends on individual habits and preferences. Some users may feel more secure on their phones, while others might prefer the control and flexibility offered by desktop environments.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.