Advice Request Please help, I need a VPN that hasn't been hacked.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Sine Wave

Thread author
Oct 11, 2019
I'm was a NordVPN customer until this morning when I found out that their service has been hacked for over a year and a half, and everything I do on their service is likely being seen by hackers. Not to mention that they probably have my credit card number from Nord's database. I need some recommendations of a good secure VPN service that has never been hacked and doesn't track your data. Thanks for all the help.

computer man

Level 2
Sep 26, 2019
No logs stored, no monitoring allowed.

Payments are handled with other services/companies.
Nord has openly admitted that they were hacked and didn't tell anybody for years, so their data-logging policy (which has been questioned with lawsuits in the past) isn't really relevant since the hacker isn't going to follow their data-logging rules. And if they lie for over a year and a half about being hacked, then you can't really trust anything else they say either.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
isn't it all https? encrypted. so the vpn can't really see what data you send anyway? so a hacker intercepts my encrypted data stream but can't read it. all the vpn can see is where i went.not what i sent. this was my understanding anyway, but i haven't really wasted much time reading on it.
Yes

Reactions: Venustus
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Mullvad or IVPN, forget the rest. Serious privacy paranoids only use those two, IVPN being the reference.

Those two uses bare metal servers, which they own, reason they have very few compared to others, because it cost way more. Nord and many others VPNs use virtual servers, cheap and easy to maintainin, which are installed on shared physical servers with dozen of companies. It means if one of those companies is compromised the whole physical server is and so the virtual ones.
Be logic, how come a VPN company would have 500-1000 servers if not virtuals. More than Microsoft itself LOL

When you pick a VPN, do serious researches, because all your sensitive datas pass through it, how they manage privacy and security is vital. And usually serious companies don't need advertising, their reputation talk for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Security mostly. And honestly you have better for cheaper or equivalent.
Em sorry for my childish question, weak in security mean that their software is buggy(or their servers?)? or their companies partners?

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017

Interesting

So when should I use a VPN?
There are roughly two usecases where you might want to use a VPN:

1. You are on a known-hostile network (eg. a public airport WiFi access point, or an ISP that is known to use MITM), and you want to work around that.
  2. You want to hide your IP from a very specific set of non-government-sanctioned adversaries - for example, circumventing a ban in a chatroom or preventing anti-piracy scareletters.
In the second case, you'd probably just want a regular proxy specifically for that traffic - sending all of your traffic over a VPN provider (like is the default with almost every VPN client) will still result in the provider being able to snoop on and mess with your traffic.

However, in practice, just don't use a VPN provider at all, even for these cases.
But I want more encryption!
Use SSL/TLS and HTTPS (for centralized services), or end-to-end encryption (for social or P2P applications). VPNs can't magically encrypt your traffic - it's simply not technically possible. If the endpoint expects plaintext, there is nothing you can do about that.

When using a VPN, the only encrypted part of the connection is from you to the VPN provider. From the VPN provider onwards, it is the same as it would have been without a VPN. And remember, the VPN provider can see and mess with all your traffic.

1. I need VPN for public and external but password protected WIFI Networks.
2. It's fine the VPN provider can see my traffic if my ISP can't.
Results = I will stick to my VPN provider :)

Reactions: Venustus
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Windscribe seems ok, not the best, but not the worst. Surfshark I have no idea.

I will shift to IVPN when they will do their Black Friday annual promotion.

Also, people should select a VPN for their needs, for example if you don't worry much about security but more about speed, no need subscribe to the paranoid one.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.