Advice Request Please help, I need a VPN that hasn't been hacked.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
To be fair, pretty much everything was hacked and we still use software. Microsoft, Linux, OSX, facebook, twitter, android etc..
I have issue with nord that they didn't tell about hack. But i don't trust VPNs in general. I don't buy "no logging policy".
If that was the case, everyone could do crime things and no one would be found. You really think VPN provider would go through all this sh*t for yours 5 eur/month?

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

To be fair, pretty much everything was hacked and we still use software. Microsoft, Linux, OSX, facebook, twitter, android etc..
I have issue with nord that they didn't tell about hack. But i don't trust VPNs in general. I don't buy "no logging policy".
If that was the case, everyone could do crime things and no one would be found. You really think VPN provider would go through all this sh*t for yours 5 eur/month?
no logging means they don't log, not that they don't give what they have, if they secretly log for whatever reason, they will give of course if coerced.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Nord has openly admitted that they were hacked and didn't tell anybody for years, so their data-logging policy (which has been questioned with lawsuits in the past) isn't really relevant since the hacker isn't going to follow their data-logging rules. And if they lie for over a year and a half about being hacked, then you can't really trust anything else they say either.
What can a hacker do with customer logs if no logs are kept? Are you suggesting somebody hacked their infrastructure, changed the whole logging policy and started collecting logs/monitoring users?

EDIT: holy sh1t they are joke lmao

1571829063657.png

Last edited:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
its belong to your country!
if you live in dictatorship country & your government arrested you for just a "comment" you can't talk it easily!
in these countries people can't trust their ISps....

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
I understand. But how do you know VPN provider won't give all info about you to government?
its belong to your country!
if you live in dictatorship country & your government arrested you for just a "comment" you can't talk it easily!
in these countries people can't trust their ISps....

I understand that. But how do you know, VPN provider won't give all info about you to government? "no logging" mean for me that they don't have any logs about me at all. But if someone like government knocks on door why do you think VPN provider would defend you and get into a trouble with government? Because someone pay 4 5 bucks per months? I don't want to be smart ass but i don't buy or trust no logging policy.
VPN provider will protect themself first and then you

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
Technically NordVPN has not been hacked (according to their reports), but only 1 server on 3000+ (without being able to steal any data). In any case NordVPN remains a very shady company. There are alternatives like: IVPN, Mullvad, ExpressVPN, Windscribe, Perfect Privacy, Private Internet Access

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I have been using Cyberghost for some time, one thing I have to say is that they really do have a ton of servers and their servers are relatively fast. One bad thing is that they don't really focus on being able to circumvent firewalls (even the one in my school blocks it), so I can't really recommend for getting around things like the great firewall.

Another thing as @Umbra has mentioned is that the reason that they have so many servers is the fact that they rent them from providers across the world and it's probably not the more secure way of deploying your servers.

For me I use it to do some light torrenting and accessing content otherwise inaccessible in my country. For one I can be sure that it changes my IP through constantly checking my IP at ipleak.net. However I cannot comment on how well it encrypts the data because I lack the technical expertise as well as knowledge to interpret data from wireshark, although previously I have used it and managed to see from TCP/UDP data packets being sent and received so I roughly know that my VPN is actually doing something to the traffic.

I will probably continue on with cyberghost until I have reasons not to. The main reasons are the speed, price and usability of the VPN service.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
In sight of "labs" dropping non-argumented crappy tests about software, I decided I'm gonna make my own test and rate antivirus:

Avast:
Protection: 10/10 I tested a 7yr old malware file download from Yahoo Answers and it blocked it.
Performance: 10/10 I didn't know how to test
GUI: 10/10 it's nice and that's an important factor

Overall: 10/10

Kaspersky:
Protection: 6/10 I downloaded two malware files from Google and it blocked it prior execution, therefore I couldn't test it. Horrible product.
Performance: 1/10 Application Control blocked a file and I don't want to search the web on how to unlock it.
GUI: 2/10 Messy and green, I don't like green.

Overall: 9 because I don't know how to make math

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I understand. But how do you know VPN provider won't give all info about you to government?

I understand that. But how do you know, VPN provider won't give all info about you to government? "no logging" mean for me that they don't have any logs about me at all. But if someone like government knocks on door why do you think VPN provider would defend you and get into a trouble with government? Because someone pay 4 5 bucks per months? I don't want to be smart ass but i don't buy or trust no logging policy.
VPN provider will protect themself first and then you
Hi
its a second layer for more protection, in the worst scenario, VPN companies sell infos to Government & they Should pay for it,but if you use your ISP , without any costs they will arrested you!
a weak shirt give you more chance for stay alive beyond "ammo" if you stand face to face a "gun" stay without shirt have no chance to you for stay alive!
& in best scenario they do't sell infos to them, it make you safe....
:LOL:

BTW due to history we know it :

Without encryption, we will lose all privacy. This is our new battleground "Edward Snowden" ;)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.