Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
The cyber-security giant Kaspersky Labs recently stacked up its range of free security tools by introducing 'Kaspersky System Checker'.
It is a portable application that helps to detect malware, missing updates, poorly configured Windows or application settings, and more. It is one of the tools that will report the issues in the system and leaves the mitigation steps up to the user.
Yet, it appears to be a good diagnostic tool to find and manually fix underlying potential problems. You can find the detailed review here and download the tool from the Kaspersky website.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I havent even looked at this tool yet, been very busy, I will later this week
Cool share Parsh ;)
Sure you must be. Thank you :) The tool seems to analyse pretty much of settings, drivers, processes, system files, interconnectivity.. and all related loopholes. Seems good till now.

A

antreas

Scanning

wow! this is awesome! it found some problems and show a button to click and find to fix it!
But there an error
Trojan.Win32.Hosts2.gen Get award-winning protection* wtf kaspersky free software and you keep promoting your antivirus

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I just gave it a spin and all it found was that my webcam is disabled, so i guess that is good. :)
All it alerted was that your webcam was disabled, but it scans for a lots of stuffs :D
Really liked it scan for basic security issues. It probably scans for more elements than other security scan products I've seen.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
This is how it looks when I open it. :D
Active window:
Untitled.png

Inactive window:
Screenshot_1.png

A

antreas

All it alerted was that your webcam was disabled, but it scans for a lots of stuffs :D
Really liked it scan for basic security issues. It probably scans for more elements than other security scan products I've seen.

Problems

I will duckduckgo the problems and found fixes.
I have voodooshield that not naff need an antivirus too ;3
I did a scan before installing voodooshield.

Windows Explorer: display of known file type extensions is disabled

Malicious software often masks its executable file by giving it the appearance of popular file formats (documents, images, music, movies, etc.), replacing the icons for these categories. When display of a known type of file extensions is disabled, the file "image.jpg__________.exe" appears to the user as "image...". Thus, the user can run a malicious program that allows an intruder to gain control over the system and user data.

Anti-virus software disabled

Anti-virus software Windows Defender is disabled.

Device manager problem detected

Device TAP-Windows Adapter V9 #2 has error: Device is disabled. (Code 22)

Device Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller has error: Device is disabled. (Code 22)

Device Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) has error: Device is disabled. (Code 22)

Hosts file is modified

Hosts file at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts contains entries that may be malicious

Trojan.Win32.Hosts2.gen

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Recommendations

Process termination timeout is out of admissible values

If a timeout is too short, an application might not have enough time to close. This can lead to future data loss or malfunction of applications.

Autorun from hard drives is allowed

Some types of malware reproduce by copying all available hard drives using the autorun.inf file. This allows an intruder to gain control over the system and user data.

Autorun from network drives is enabled

Some types of malware reproduce by copying network drives using the autorun.inf file. This allows an intruder to gain control over the system and user data.

CD/DVD autorun is enabled

Some malware and adware is automatically launched from CDs and DVDs when these discs are inserted. This allows the intruder to gain control over the system and user data.

Removable media autorun is enabled

Due to proliferation of removable media, many malicious programs use autorun for distribution and infection. Thus, removable media refers not only to flash-drives, but also mobile phones, cameras, card readers, and other devices that use memory cards that connect to a USB port.

Microsoft Internet Explorer: caching data received via protected channel is enabled

An intruder that takes control of the system can access the user's confidential data stored in cookies (email messages, personal data, information from online banking websites, etc.) to learn about the websites visited by the user.

Microsoft Internet Explorer: sending error reports is enabled

In addition to reporting error information, information about the user's computer may also be reported. Interception of this information allows the intruder to more effectively attack the user's computer.

Temp folder is too large

Folder C:\Users\freedom\AppData\Local\Temp size is greater than 500.0 megabytes

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Most problems found on Device Manager
Problems

Windows Explorer: display of known file type extensions is disabled

Malicious software often masks its executable file by giving it the appearance of popular file formats (documents, images, music, movies, etc.), replacing the icons for these categories. When display of a known type of file extensions is disabled, the file "image.jpg__________.exe" appears to the user as "image...". Thus, the user can run a malicious program that allows an intruder to gain control over the system and user data.

Anti-virus software disabled

Anti-virus software Windows Defender is disabled.

Device TAP-Windows Adapter V9 #2 has error: Device is disabled. (Code 22)

Device Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller has error: Device is disabled. (Code 22)

Device Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) has error: Device is disabled. (Code 22)

Hosts file is modified

Hosts file at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts contains entries that may be malicious

Trojan.Win32.Hosts2.gen

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Recommendations

Process termination timeout is out of admissible values

If a timeout is too short, an application might not have enough time to close. This can lead to future data loss or malfunction of applications.

Autorun from hard drives is allowed

Some types of malware reproduce by copying all available hard drives using the autorun.inf file. This allows an intruder to gain control over the system and user data.

Autorun from network drives is enabled

Some types of malware reproduce by copying network drives using the autorun.inf file. This allows an intruder to gain control over the system and user data.

CD/DVD autorun is enabled

Some malware and adware is automatically launched from CDs and DVDs when these discs are inserted. This allows the intruder to gain control over the system and user data.

Removable media autorun is enabled

Due to proliferation of removable media, many malicious programs use autorun for distribution and infection. Thus, removable media refers not only to flash-drives, but also mobile phones, cameras, card readers, and other devices that use memory cards that connect to a USB port.

Microsoft Internet Explorer: caching data received via protected channel is enabled

An intruder that takes control of the system can access the user's confidential data stored in cookies (email messages, personal data, information from online banking websites, etc.) to learn about the websites visited by the user.

Microsoft Internet Explorer: sending error reports is enabled

In addition to reporting error information, information about the user's computer may also be reported. Interception of this information allows the intruder to more effectively attack the user's computer.

Temp folder is too large

Folder C:\Users\freedom\AppData\Local\Temp size is greater than 500.0 megabytes

So any tip? there too many

Some nice findings. Basically it incorporates and scans most of the domains of the KIS module that govern the security settings of the system.

Scanning

wow! this is awesome! it found some problems and show a button to click and find to fix it!
But there an error
Trojan.Win32.Hosts2.gen Get award-winning protection* wtf kaspersky free software and you keep promoting your antivirus
It detected that Trojan in your system with a quick scan, so it is natural that it will recommend trying their IS for your system :)
Or just use its free Virus Removal Tool if your current setup cannot deal with it

A

antreas

The last two lines in host were ok and safe, what the heck was the other one, above?
Do not remove it from your post pal, members here could be of your help by analyzing that

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

I delete the other staff i keep only this.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

I delete the other staff i keep only this.
Some looked suspicious, different sites with similar domain names, for the same product. Anyway good that you removed them. The new one seems good. Why not run a KSC scan again?

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Hmmm, seems I have no AV installed. I guess SEP is not recognized.

View attachment 131028
That's weird. Maybe it doesn't detect endpoint protections? LOl, yet it's weird.
Does Windows recognize it as an antivirus in Security and Maintenance section (Control panel)? Just to know if that relates.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
That's weird. Maybe it doesn't detect endpoint protections? LOl, yet it's weird.
Does Windows recognize it as an antivirus in Security and Maintenance section (Control panel)? Just to know if that relates.

Take a while guess! I got a link to buy KIS ;););)

Windows recognizes it as valid and even disable Windows Defender for me, LoL!

I am gonna have to vote "No, Doesn't help much" after my scan!

Fun Fact, ran my VM with Emsisoft and its also not detected, LoL!

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Take a while guess! I got a link to buy KIS ;););)
Windows recognizes it as valid and even disable Windows Defender for me, LoL!
I am gonna have to vote "No, Doesn't help much" after my scan!
Fun Fact, ran my VM with Emsisoft and its also not detected, LoL!
Haha. I don't get why. Maybe it wants you to like Kaspersky, or maybe wants to see itself in your Profile Pic ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.