Advice Request Possible acrobat reader false positive

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

mkoundo

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Hello all, just wanted to check your opinion. Zemana antimalware free detected two files from acrobat reader. I checked the two files with virustotal and they are 100% clean. Anyone else getting this? Safe to assume it's a false positive?

Thanks

Acrobat Reader: 20198.021.20048 (latest version)
Zemana antimalware free: 3.1.450

Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: upnorth

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
hello all, just wanted to check your opinion. Zemana antimalware free detected two files from acrobat reader. I checked the two files with virustotal and they are 100% clean. Anyone else getting this? Safe to assume it's a false positive?

thanks

acrobat reader: 20198.021.20048 (latest version)

View attachment 227949
It’s highly likely they are false positives (especially if VT has zero detection). And lately Zemana hasn’t been as responsive to feedback or false positives. It seems their new engine in 3.0 is prone to false positives. I’d use another second opinion scanner you trust and see what it says.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
In general, latest versions of something will trigger these "detections" because they're unknown. Maybe you can consider submitting these items thru the "Send Feedback" option at the bottom.

Like, for example, Norton Power Eraser flagged the latest child processes of Edge.dev a few weeks ago. I sumitted reports and three hours later, these were removed by Symantec. (y) You might not get the same attention but if Zemana is still active, it'll likely get taken care of sometime. :emoji_pray:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I think they are busy with their deepfake sdk as it works great, i've tried it and it detected a deepfake that wan't analyzed by them before. They did a lot of work in ZAM in the first months of 2019 as you can see in the changelog
However if you are going to engage the community and get a lot of beta testing support it would seem you would give them a heads up when you wind down. Especially if the person working with them leaves the company.

alv222

Level 2
Oct 11, 2019
However if you are going to engage the community and get a lot of beta testing support it would seem you would give them a heads up when you wind down. Especially if the person working with them leaves the company.
Well thats true but anyways they may get a new malware analyst

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I'm not using Zemana and is not in the loop with their versions but, is that a Beta version as the latest released official version on the homepage is 3.1.395 ?
It’s highly likely they are false positives (especially if VT has zero detection). And lately Zemana hasn’t been as responsive to feedback or false positives. It seems their new engine in 3.0 is prone to false positives. I’d use another second opinion scanner you trust and see what it says.
Running things, files and urls etc through VT ( VirusTotal ) is one way to get a pretty good answer but, I agree with @blackice to test it with another scanner. Also always download software from the original source or from a reputable and well known source. That will automatic minimize the risk.
Acrobat Reader: 20198.021.20048 (latest version)
Correct!

mkoundo

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
This is not a beta as far as I'm aware. I was using the 2 series portable version (2.74.0.664) which I got directly from zemana's website months ago and it updated itself to 3.1.450 fairly recently.

I'm not using Zemana and is not in the loop with their versions but, is that a Beta version as the latest released official version on the homepage is 3.1.395 ?

Running things, files and urls etc through VT ( VirusTotal ) is one way to get a pretty good answer but, I agree with @blackice to test it with another scanner. Also always download software from the original source or from a reputable and well known source. That will automatic minimize the risk.

Correct!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.