Possible Fix for Restoring PC From Petya Ransomware

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
Disclaimer / Quick Background: I am not near as smart as the good people here, and I envy most of the people's posts that I read, especially "@cruelsister"....

But you have to understand in the 90's my kids got their first PC and I was afraid to even touch it. But one day it went boobies up, and I didn't know what to do.

So I took it to a friend who is really into computers. He asked "would you like to learn about PC's", I said I would, but I know NOTHING about them". He said "Do you know how to format a disk". I said I don't know what a disk is and I don't know what you mean by formatting.

So he hands me a floppy disk, and says go home and format this PC, boot with it and hit enter after typing C: He said call me if you have troubles, and I did. I was totally lost...

Today I am not near as PC illiterate, but still not near any of you... Still I think I have an idea for you guys.

Here's my idea....

Boot using a CD or portable floppy drive. Do a fdisk and format, but don't use the normal commands of "Format C:/U"

Instead do this: Go to the A: Prompt via floppy or floppy converted to a 700mb cd

Type the following....(Then Hit Enter)

A: fdisk (to delete all partitions on the drive, continue with below commands).

debug
F200 L200 0
a 100
mov ax,301 (now you'll see some numbers and letters, do not press enter. instead continue typing the following.)
mov bx,200
mov cx,1
mov dx.0080 (0080 is for primary disk, 0081, would be for secondary, 0082 for the 3rd, Etc. Do same procedure on both or all drives).
int 13
int 3 (Now Press Enter Again, To Create A Blank Space).
G=100
q
Press Enter For a Final Time... (Now There is NOTHING on your drive)

Now use Fdisk, and Format with normal commands to set up your drive and restore the OS via Backup Image, or do clean install.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: frogboy and upnorth
R

Rod McCarthy

Thread author
I know this works on HDD prior to Win 7....How about now. I think so , because it's like a physical modification to the hard drive right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.