Advice Request Possible ways to harden Windows?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 77194
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 77194

Thread author
One of the easiest ways is @Andy Ful 's tools Simple Windows Hardening or Hard_Configurator ;) Hard_Configurator Simple Windows Hardening.

E
I am aware of the tool, I am interested in the underlying technologies that are hardened.
For example what windows or application features increases the attack surface and ways to reduce it.
What hardening settings are recommended generally while keeping the OS usable.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I am aware of the tool, I am interested in the underlying technologies that are hardened.
For example what windows or application features increases the attack surface and ways to reduce it.
What hardening settings are recommended generally while keeping the OS usable.
A suggestion would be to read the Hard_Configurator manual:
There is a lot of information about the different settings.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
To reduce the attack surface of your OS you can remove some Windows 10 / 11 apps or of course third-party software that you don't really need. You can also disable AutoPlay, Network Discovery and Windows Update Optimization. All of those settings are not essential and can bear a risk.

Viotto

From BreakingSecurity.net
Verified
Developer
Mar 5, 2022
I recommend putting all your important files into an encrypted container or partition, using VeraCrypt for example.
You will mount that partition only when needed and this will decrease the chances of suspicious programs to access your important files.
It will also make it easier to backup all your important files, as you will need to copy just the single container file.

I would also suggest to install an Anti-Keylogger program such as KeyScrambler to ensure your PC is not being monitored without your consent.
If a keylogger is installed and it bypasses your antivirus, it is still another layer of protection that you have.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Andy's software is also recommended in terms of learning the reasons for the enhancement.
Increased security is linked to reduced convenience. The important thing is a compromise on how to stay safe while maintaining convenience. Andy's tools have a great balance.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I will use SWH then.
Check that thread...

F

ForgottenSeer 95367

Thread author
I am thinking of using Voodooshield Free (Autopilot). How does it compare against SWH. Is SWH SRP easily bypassable? Should I use both?
Overkill that will create problems for you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.