Troubleshoot Potentially hacked - need suggestions

CyberDan

Thread author
Jul 12, 2018
I'm new to this site....hope I posted this in proper place.

Yesterday I opened an email from my samsung galaxy s7 from my personal business office 365 account. It looked like an MS email saying please click on link to confirm account.... while moving my finger to delete I must have gotten to close to the link and it tried connecting. I managed to stop the browser on my samsung galaxy 7 mobile before it connected.

I then quickly did the following:
- checked that my Kaspersky on my phone was on and still live protection.
- Ran a full scan - all good
- had totalAV installed - not the version running live - but ran that scan also and nothing.
- logged into office 365 email from laptop protected with Sophos - email was from some codedname@emicrosoft.com
- right clicked and sent to MS as phishing.
- logged out and ran local sophos scan.
- googled @emicrosoft.com for anything about this but nothing came up.

Is the anything else I should do to make sure my MS email has not been compromised or samsung galaxy 7 mobile??

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
You should change the password on the office account and I can guess it's someone else that administrate that elsewhere as any password change direct on the phone is not to recommend in this case IMO. Now if this is a company phone it should normaly be possible to get it replaced. Especially important if you work with high sensitive files/documents.

CyberDan

Thread author
Jul 12, 2018
You should change the password on the office account and I can guess it's someone else that administrate that elsewhere as any password change direct on the phone is not to recommend in this case IMO. Now if this is a company phone it should normaly be possible to get it replaced. Especially important if you work with high sensitive files/documents.

Thanks.
I did actually change the password right away also - forgot to mention that.
A friend on mine hosts my small personal business on his system for other small businesses and I informed him also.

I did not change the password on my phone to access that exchange account and I'll hold off on that for now.
I also avoid banking on the phone also - my laptop is encrypted and has more security measures I am familiar with compared to the phone.

I honestly do not want to reset the phone....too many issues back to business - will keep getting kaspersky and totalAV updates and scan daily

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.