Advice Request Potplayer alternative for Linux

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hi guys!

Does anyone know good alternative to Potplayer for Linux (for Lubuntu actually).

So, features I need for a player, desparetelly are:
  • Ability to play almost all formats properly (like Potplayer, MPCHC does)
  • Ability to manipulate subtitles in meaning of synchronisation, delay, and subtitle saving)
  • Ability to normalize audio input/output for low volume videos (Potplayer and MPC HC do it superbly), I am not that thrilled how VLC does it
  • Ability to Exit itself and Shutdown the system after playback finishes.
+ Optional, ability to play online video in real time

I see that MPV for Linux has most of that features but it doesn't have proper GUI (maybe Gnome videos?)
VLC is out of the question for many reasons.
SMPlayer cannot shutdown the system.

Any suggestions are welcome

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I see that MPV for Linux has most of that features but it doesn't have proper GUI (maybe Gnome videos?)

You can start mpv with GUI this way:
Code:
mpv --player-operation-mode=pseudo-gui

Otherwise there are other GUIs that support mpv.

I don't know how mpv meets your requirements. Just wanted to let you know how to run the included GUI from mpv or where to get others.

This link forwards to the ArchWiki. Under Arch you install the packages via pacman. If you want to install the packages listed under ArchWiki, then just use sudo apt install (should work in most cases, otherwise just go on to the website of the project and build it yourself or gather more information :))

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
How is SMPlayer's video quality compared to MPC-HC with K-Lite? The subtitle downloader isn't as easy as MPC but it gets the job done. If I did end up using Linux, I need a good replacement for MPC-HC.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
How does VLC under-perform in this area?
Volume normalization is an important feature also for me, but I need it for audio files, not video files.
I would need to record you a difference in order to explain... Potplayer, KMPlayer and Gom are using different renderers I think, so they can improve volume for quiet videos better, at least for my taste as my laptop speakers are terrible. MPC HC is decent also. But VLC... It just crackles when you go above 110%.
If I did end up using Linux, I need a good replacement for MPC-HC
If there was Potplayer for Linux I would turn my laptop totally into Lubuntu right away. Or MPC HC replacement

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.