Firefox (default)
Chrome (built-in)
Samsung browser (built-in)

Predrag Radjenovic

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 16, 2016
This is a config I was rocking with my older phones as well.
  • Sophos Mobile Security is a beast, a bit heavy on the battery though, but even now I manage 1 whole day without issues.
  • AdGuard and Nord VPN.
  • Bitwarden.
  • Knox encrypted.
  • Not rooted - I was rooting every phone before - I had absolutely no need for it on S8.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I just don't understand why people need to have an antivirus apps installed on their phones. If you download apps from Google Play (or any other reliable app store) and if you check out permissions as well as reviews, you have nothing to fear about. Even if you download apps from shady web sites, starting from Android 5 (I think), app needs to ask you for permissions. So, even if the app is malicious, it cannot do anything until you give it permission. Besides that, most of these antivirus apps are useless; they can detect malicious app (if its in their virus database), but cannot do anything about it and you have to uninstall it manually (if you can).

Predrag Radjenovic

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 16, 2016
I get you, and you are absolutely right if you speak about the average user. I on the other hand, I sometimes install stuff outside of the playstore.
Also, there are other benefits - qr/barcode reader / analyzer (checks the links before you actually activate them), 2fa system, and my favorite and essential - you can lock any app with fingerprint.
So while the base function of the Av is not that much needed, the other functions make it pretty essential for me.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It's always one's personal decision to use a AV no matter what device used but I strongly disagree it's useless, as everything that's malicious don't always need an app. Also malicious access through legit apps is just as easy possible as for example with browser extensions and all the horrific numbers on approved and legit apps that infect millions and are sadly constant reported, should speak more then well enough itself.

Predrag Radjenovic

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 16, 2016
It's always one's personal decision to use a AV no matter what device used but I strongly disagree it's useless, as everything that's malicious don't always need an app. Also malicious access through legit apps is just as easy possible as for example with browser extensions and all the horrific numbers on approved and legit apps that infect millions and are sadly constant reported, should speak more then well enough itself.
There is also that. But I understood Marko's comment more in the sense of middle age and up user base who don't even know about browser extensions, or whatnot... The ones using only standard apps that came with the phone and a game or two from playstore...

Reactions: upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
There is also that. But I understood Marko's comment more in the sense of middle age and up user base who don't even know about browser extensions, or whatnot... The ones using only standard apps that came with the phone and a game or two from playstore...
IMO those are the one's that need an extra layer more. I really really wish Google Play could be good enough for everyone. Things have been improved but Google still have a lot more to fix.

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
Googs!

Ha, um, cool. Hope the "One UI" Pie update heads your way soon, it's a good one..

Predrag Radjenovic

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 16, 2016
Googs!

Ha, um, cool. Hope the "One UI" Pie update heads your way soon, it's a good one..

It just arrived. Sooo.. Any advantages, apart from the new Android version? What is so good about it? Everything is .. not .. where it was...

Reactions: dash

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Haha.. it's cool. Check out Night mode, try setting it to Sunset to Sunrise and like clockwork the UI and all 1st party apps go dark
That's really cool. Google should have this built-in.
I'd still probably use stock Android just to rid of all the extras.

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
That's really cool. Google should have this built-in.
I'd still probably use stock Android just to rid of all the extras.
They're working on a dark/night mode in Android Q. I'm running it on my Pixel 1. They've already given a lot of Google apps a dark mode, now the OS is receiving that treatment and hopefully, they'll tie it all together here soon.

• Wow
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
They're working on a dark/night mode in Android Q. I'm running it on my Pixel 1. They've already given a lot of Google apps a dark mode, now the OS is receiving that treatment and hopefully, they'll tie it all together here soon.
Then time for browsers and websites to do it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.