Battle Prefered Malware Removal Tool for 2020?

Compare list
All
In-depth Comparison

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
ESET Online Scanner
- Easy to use with free removal
- Active Internet connection required
- Downloads definitions per use
- Some scanning options off by default
- Does not install like other tools

HitmanPro
- Lightweight and portable
- License activation required for removal
- Developer page requires user info before download (Sophos-standard)

Norton Power Eraser.
- Aggressive heuristics

Emsisoft Emergency Kit
- Large offline database download required.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I was using WV+HMP+NPE. Trying other combo, prefer install programs and not portables
Now i am trying HMP+ESET online scanner +MBAM
Theoretically, you should never have to use any. Unless;
  1. It's part of your routine OS safety checks
  2. Suspect your primary line of defence has been compromised
  3. You are a victim of malware or other attack, and have been compromised
If 2. and 3. are a common occurrence, then consider re-configuring your first line of defence and setting up a solid backup & recovery solution.

One more thing, there is very little you can to to fix the End user and Human error.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
If 2. and 3. are a common occurrence, then consider re-configuring your first line of defence and setting up a solid backup & recovery solution.

One more thing, there is very little you can to to fix the End user and Human error.
I know, i never used removal tools before, are pretty much useless xD. I dont get risk with dangerous software, all my softwares are free. I am just start using those software just for archive secure complete here :ROFLMAO:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019

What you say is true. But even if second opinion scanners never find anything on my PC, it makes me feel secure and it's a good feeling!

Outpost

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 11, 2020
In the test environment (malware test) it is correct to have 2 or 3 second opinion scanners. In a production PC, if I use more than one second opinion, it means that I don't trust my main AV or the policies I have adopted. In that case I should review something... If I suspect that something has entered, I don't need of 3/4 alternative scanners. I solve it in much less time by restoring a disk image.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
On very rare occasions I do scans with both HitmanPro and Kasperksy Virus Removal Tool. They only ever detect PUPs I have installed myself, or installers for PUPs in my download folders and never any malware. Because my system never gets infected, I don't feel the need to run regular scans, or to use any additional scanners.

I was using Zemana as well for a while. But I uninstalled it, due to not liking v3 as much as older versions and feeling I didn't really need it anyway.

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
On very rare occasions I do scans with both HitmanPro and Kasperksy Virus Removal Tool. They only ever detect PUPs I have installed myself, or installers for PUPs in my download folders and never any malware. Because my system never gets infected, I don't feel the need to run regular scans, or to use any additional scanners.

I was using Zemana as well for a while. But I uninstalled it, due to not liking v3 as much as older versions and feeling I didn't really need it anyway.
I think zemana is still very weak, low detection rate, I am impressed that no one has mentioned malware bytes, which is practically one of the best.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I think zemana is still very weak, low detection rate, I am impressed that no one has mentioned malware bytes, which is practically one of the best.
In my opinion v2 of Zemana was very good and had better detection and far less false positives than v3. I like Malwarebytes a lot and have a lifetime license. At the moment, I don't feel the need to use it. But I definitely would, if I was going to use some other scanners. Some people think it is not very good these days, but I still think it is a great second opinion scanner.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.