Battle Preferred Download Manager?

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Want to find a quicker download if possible... which software or extension have you found manages your downloads well and also fastest?

Look forward to trying one out... Thanks ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
My vote goes to IDM.
I have tried several download managers and IDM seems to be the lightest and fastest one but unfortunately it's paid and it's interface is a bit too "old school" :rolleyes:
You can also try Ant Download Manager
Code:
http://antdownloadmanager.com/index.php
or FDM 5.1 BETA
Code:
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17363

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
It's not on your poll but JDownloader is an excellent free, open-source, feature rich downloader. Very fast and can do many things like solve captchas for you, skip ad based short URLs, automatically extract multi-part archives and more. Highly recommend it, it made my downloading experience miles better. :D

Reactions: JakeXPMan

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I've used several, IDM was the best I found! Down any site, so far not found a site that the IDM do not download, easy settings, compatible with many browsers.
In a way the interface is good, you can download "buttons", because the standard is not very pleasant.
It sure is a download manager that much worth paying!
It has many options, IDM has less polluted interface, has many download managers full of advertisements.
My vote was for IDM ( Internet Download Manager ). After using several IDM pleased me a lot! :)

Last edited:

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I have used IDM and FDM, my vote goes to the first one. It integrated better with my browser and it's download speed always hit my max speed connection in seconds, where on FDM it did take more time to actually hit my max connection speed. FDM is still a good pick, but IDM will always be a step ahead in terms of overall performance.

Reactions: King Alpha

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
For the paid versions, IDM is the best as standalone software.
For free versions, fdm is the best to use as standalone software but if you want to use specific browser based extensions then goto DownloadThemALL or turbocharged download manager (of slimjet browser).
I have been using DTA and turbocharged download manger for 2 years and I never felt incomplete or slow download though I have used IDM and FDM before but just tweak DTA settings little to get most out of it.
Finally it is user dependent and needs which user wants to choose.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have used IDM in the past and chose it over the others because of the amount of features.
A bonus I later realized was the speeds I got with using it.
Results may vary based on your config, but I think that IDM is worth a "look see"
PeAcE

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Eagleget is another good alternative download manager from now, since its been totally reliable on browsers; also their media grabber can be useful to gather videos without any fuss.

But of course with such respect, IDM is the overall winner here. Likely for me the origin and cause to start producing same program type from competitors.

Make sure that the number one important where browser compatibility is consistent to avoid unnecessary click operation. The purpose of Download manager is ease and reduce interruption.

Reethu

Level 1
Verified
Oct 15, 2014
EagleGet is better than IDM and the rest because

1. It is totally free
  2. It does everything that IDM performs (creating multiple custom queue's, media capture, smart scheduler, download categories, automatically refresh expired download links, multi-threaded downloads, custom browsers support, batch download, automatic malware checker, file integrity verifier, proxy support, flexible notifications, media conversion, speed limiter, export/import tasks)
  3. Better at media detection than IDM, because it can download using Video Sniffer, Media Grabber and Brower extension.
  4. Unlike IDM, it has drag'n drop support of download tasks on it's interface to set priority.
  5. Has custom skins and theme's support which IDM does not have.

The Mac & Linux version of EagleGet is on the works, and it's also getting a revamped download engine soon. The only downside of EagleGet is it's stability, but with the new engine it should be good.

IDM is in the past, EagleGet is the future. :) Hopefully it remains freeware.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.