Prevent Win8.1 Win7 updating to Win10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Hi everyone, while there seems to be lots of discussion around Win10 and its phoning-home abilities (Windows 10 - Shut down Windows 10 telemetry with Win10 Spy Disabler), I've found less info on solidly preventing Win8.1 (and Win7) from downloading Win10 updates in the first place.

I've just spent a bit of time tightening my system to prevent Win10, here are the steps I've taken:

1. remove individual Windows Updates responsible for downloading Win10.
2. delete the hidden folder where Win10 gets stored: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT
3. re-configuring Windows Updates.
4. checking your system with GWX Control Panel.

Here are the steps in detail:
1. I started with the How-To Geek article How to Stop Windows 7 or 8 from Downloading Windows 10 Automatically (which links to the software GWX Control Panel) and AddictiveTips article What Is The $WINDOWS.~BT Folder On My Hard Drive?. Win8 users need to locate and uninstall KB3035583 and KB2976978. Win7 users need to uninstall KB3035583 and KB2952664. Uninstall both updates and reboot.
2. Search for the folder $WINDOWS.~BT located on your C drive and delete this hidden folder.
3. Open Windows Updates > Change Settings, and make sure 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them' is selected. With this option selected you can monitor your future updates to prevent the updates KB3035583, KB2976978, KB2952664 getting reinstalled (see 1st screenshot).
4. Finally I then downloaded GWX Control Panel, checked it with Virustotal, and ran it. Happily it came up with no Win10 whatsoever (see 2nd screenshot).

Please note, as I uninstalled KB3035583 some time ago, I didn't have the $WINDOWS.~BT folder. I came across the How-to-Geek and AddictiveTips articles and decided I needed to do these extra steps.
This guide is really just a combined summary of the two articles, so Thank You to both. Thank You also to the Ultimate Outsider for creating GWX Control Panel.

Time will tell if these steps are enough. Hope this is of use to you!

Change settings.png GWX Control Panel.png

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

@Chigwells

Here is alternative method for W8.1 only.

1. Clean install OS using Media Creation Tool
2. Select "Do NOT download\install Windows updates" option
3. When setting up newly installed Windows, disable "Automatic Windows Updates"
4. When perform very first Windows Updates, hide (right-click on KB) the following updates (NOTE: some KBs shown below are not related to W10 upgrade - search online for KB # to get infos & make list)

NOTE: In configuring Windows Updates you should choose "Download, but let me decide which to install..."

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
Well you can also use DWS (Destroy Windows Spying) tool which was design mainly to Windows 10 But It can also remove all of those spying updates on Both (Windows 7 and 8.1) and hide them automatically I´ve tried myself Works pretty well and usefull tool

Reactions: NOLF92 and Kate_L
N

NOLF92

Well you can also use DWS (Destroy Windows Spying) tool which was design mainly to Windows 10 But It can also remove all of those spying updates on Both (Windows 7 and 8.1) and hide them automatically I´ve tried myself Works pretty well and usefull tool

Very similar to the script I shared, but it seems more stable. Good share, Miguel.

Reactions: MiguelPratas819

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
1. remove individual Windows Updates responsible for downloading Win10.
That is what I have done, but can never be sure about future re-pushed GWX-like updates, even if the old update is on the Ignore list.

Changed Windows Update settings to "Let me choose..." which prevents auto-installations, and unchecked the boxes below. So now I only receive Important updates.

upload_2016-1-1_22-9-6.png

As a precaution, I always click the More Information, as sometimes (see below) doesn't always provide detailed information.

upload_2016-1-1_22-12-9.png

In this case, it's a security patch for Flash Player, I will allow this.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Interesting...

All completely new to me. As I am only a medium experience kinda user, I tend to stick to things I know and understand. Feel out of my depth with all scripts and media aggregators. Thanks anyway, DWS looks good!

@Huracan, yup, the More Information button is a good one as that dialogue box is mostly unhelpful.

H

hjlbx

That is what I have done, but can never be sure about future re-pushed GWX-like updates, even if the old update is on the Ignore list.

Changed Windows Update settings to "Let me choose..." which prevents auto-installations, and unchecked the boxes below. So now I only receive Important updates.

View attachment 79357

As a precaution, I always click the More Information, as sometimes (see below) doesn't always provide detailed information.

View attachment 79358

In this case, it's a security patch for Flash Player, I will allow this.

M$ is in the process of developing new W10 updaters that do not depend upon any prior KB... amongst other things - like defeating W10 blocking utilities\scripts or amending the EULAs of all Window versions to force W10 acceptance. At least that is the rumor.

They are miffed that so many users are not accepting W10.

It will be quite interesting to see what develops - but anyone who has paid attention to M$' aggressive W10 push just knows that M$ will have something special for all of us.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
They are miffed that so many users are not accepting W10.
Did they forget that mainstream support for Windows 7 SP1 and 8.1 exist, or find a loophole to find a reason all Windows users should migrate to W10.

H

hjlbx

Did they forget that mainstream support for Windows 7 SP1 and 8.1 exist, or find a loophole to find a reason all Windows users should migrate to W10.

The official M$ line is that supporting more than one OS is costing the company too much $$$ (inefficient, too many resources needed, etc) !

They want to terminate all non-W10 support as soon as is practicable.

It's all about $$$.

What's new, right ?

Everything is about $$$.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
The official M$ line is that supporting more than one OS is costing the company too much $$$ (inefficient, too many resources needed, etc) !

So, are they suggesting we all stick with the popular Win7, or maybe XP??? :p

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
Anyone updated the security updates for win7 the 1-12-2016 updates? And anyone have a hosts list that outright blocks MS for windows 7? I've had no issues with MS making me upgrade or with telemetry as far as I can see in the registry the values dont exist so but I did use this WS to make a windows10 bootable usb. I did obviously notice a BT folder afterwards pretty sure that's where it builds it or downloads to if you're using the media creation tool. Not exactly sure though I didn't watch it as it was downloading or making the iso etc. Anyways I'm taking a backup before I install them. MS says its all security updates... Any verification on that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.