DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials
Ghostery

ColonelMal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
I use Ghostery and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials with Microsoft Edge. Is it unnecessary to use DDG PE in this case?
Alternatively, could I use Privacy Badger with Ghostery or is it unnecessary and I should only use Ghostery?

Reactions: [correlate]

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
You'd be better off ditching all those and just using ublock origin in medium mode, adding the DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials list. Privacy badger has not been updated in awhile and does the same things uBo does. And Ghostery...yeah, no. It's an ad company. The irony of an ad company protection your privacy is laughable.

Last edited:

ColonelMal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
You'd be better off ditching all those and just using ublock origin in medium mode, adding the DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials list. Privacy badger has not been uypdated in awhile and does the same things uBo does. And Ghostery...yeah, no. It's an ad company. The irony of an ad company protection your privacy is laughable.
According to Wikipedia and I hope that I'm not quoting out of context "Since July 2018, with version 8.2, Ghostery shows advertisements of its own to users. Burda claims that the advertisements do not send personal data back to their servers and that they do not create a personal profile".

Based on the above I should start using uBlock Origin.

EDIT: Would you please tell me how I change uBlock Origin to medium mode and to add the DDG PE list? I don't see a way to do these things.

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It's good to use multiple privacy protection extensions as they complement each other's abilities. Ghostery and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials both provide features for blocking third-party cookies and trackers, while Privacy Badger detects and blocks additional potential trackers. So, using both Ghostery and Privacy Badger will give you an extra layer of protection.

However, since Ghostery and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials have similar functionality, it might be redundant to use both of them together. In this case, you could choose to use one or the other. Ultimately, it's essential to find the combination of extensions that works best for you and provides the level of privacy protection that you are comfortable with.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Indeed. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Most excellent video!
yes! and realizing I should watch a 2d time. Not sure what happened in 2018 ref "I am an advanced user" but the info button next to it links to a warning: be careful or you could end up less protected than default. Meaning to me, be focused, and want to interact... or keep ublock default. or use librewolf or some such browser, or as you say a combo of browser depending... I may change my mind after sunset?? :unsure:

Reactions: Jonny Quest

Jonny Quest

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
yes! and realizing I should watch a 2d time. Not sure what happened in 2018 ref "I am an advanced user" but the info button next to it links to a warning: be careful or you could end up less protected than default. Meaning to me, be focused, and want to interact... or keep ublock default. or use librewolf or some such browser. I may change my mind after sunset?? :unsure:
I may change my mind after sunset..lol :)

What's nice about these add-on apps, is the option to reset them to their default settings, just in case, especially in my case :) :)

Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.