Battle Privacy: ZoneAlarm Vs Trend Micro Vs AVG

between those 3 product which one is more secure in terms of privacy and telemetry data?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Compare list
1. Zonealarm
2. Trendmicro
3. AVG
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Avast/AVG has several options to turn off some data collections, including Community IQ aka threat telemetry. Most products don't have such options. Another one that I can think of is ESET, which like Avast has several options to turn off data collection, including cloud submission of threat telemetry and cloud based protection.
Trend Micro allows you to turn off the data collection as well. Only ZoneAlarm has no settings over the data collection whatsoever. Other vendors are Kaspersky and Norton where telemetry can be switched off. By default, Norton installs with Community Watch switched off (it is unticked in the installer, requires user to manually change it).

Between the three mentioned here, AVG and Trend can have telemetry off (Trend will continue to send a lot of data as that’s how scanning works) and ZoneAlarm will always transfer telemetry + data needed for cloud-based models to identify threats.

AVG and Avast due to streaming updates reduce the dependency on the cloud and with telemetry off will have the least online activity.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Reactions: Jack and mlnevese

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
BD software requirement: Internet Explorer version 11? I thought MS deprecated IE, at least on win10... :unsure:
I am guessing this is not updated. Another reason may be the UI which is based on HTML 5 and CSS (sciter framework sciter – Multiplatform HTML/CSS/JavaScript UI Engine for Desktop and Mobile Application). I am not sure which engine they use to render it, but I am guessing it is Chromium Edge.

Ailean33

Thread author
May 8, 2023
Trend Micro allows you to turn off the data collection as well. Only ZoneAlarm has no settings over the data collection whatsoever. Other vendors are Kaspersky and Norton where telemetry can be switched off. By default, Norton installs with Community Watch switched off (it is unticked in the installer, requires user to manually change it).

Between the three mentioned here, AVG and Trend can have telemetry off (Trend will continue to send a lot of data as that’s how scanning works) and ZoneAlarm will always transfer telemetry + data needed for cloud-based models to identify threats.

AVG and Avast due to streaming updates reduce the dependency on the cloud and with telemetry off will have the least online activity.
if i turn off those data collection option you mention and also put those folders to exception list will trendmicro ignore them for good or they are still gathering data from those drive and folders?because trendmicro in poll getting more vote -avg out for him because of avast and norton

Reactions: Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
if i turn off those data collection option you mention and also put those folders to exception list will trendmicro ignore them for good or they are still gathering data from those drive and folders?because trendmicro in poll getting more vote -avg out for him because of avast and norton
Trend Micro never uploads your personal files. The cloud scanning works by sending hashes (fingerprints of files) and if needed (if the local engine has suspected something) a bag of attributes which are run through cloud-based classifiers. These classifiers are way to heavy to be run locally, they will take hours. From time to time, it may send unknown files for analysis. The web blocking system is cloud-based as well, so URLs are sent and their reputation is checked in real time.

Ailean33

Thread author
May 8, 2023
Trend Micro never uploads your personal files. The cloud scanning works by sending hashes (fingerprints of files) and if needed (if the local engine has suspected something) a bag of attributes which are run through cloud-based classifiers. These classifiers are way to heavy to be run locally, they will take hours. From time to time, it may send unknown files for analysis. The web blocking system is cloud-based as well, so URLs are sent and their reputation is checked in real time.
they also install someting name troubleshooting tool i uninstall it so only main tool right no stay on pc and damn its light and fast +point also i uncheck 2option i show the SS :
so i think those options stop TM for sending out more file and data out of this pc

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-08 220344.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-08 220344.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 76

Ailean33

Thread author
May 8, 2023
View attachment 275212

People still laugh and blame Avast, but they doing things right now, that can not be said of other AV (a lot gather alot of info and NO option to disable )
Every telemetry option disabled, this can also be done in AVG like @SeriousHoax mentioned.
so with those option off there is no more info and data sent out righ?
in ternedmicro there is only 2 option when i turn them off i really dont know what other stuff they harvest from pc let's hope nothing more share with trend micro i still try to talk to my father about getting f-secure for better privacy he hated g-data so only f-secure left i use it in my own pc and im too happy with it but my father dont like it:cry:will tell him befor buy a sub fo any of those he try avg and f-secure for few days then he choose right one for his office

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
he hated g-data
I don’t blame him.

If your father wants to use any of these three, they are all quite good and have their benefits, and you should stop wasting your time with privacy debacles. Nobody really knows what’s going on inside a company and you can only assume they all abide the laws. If they don’t, penalties are quite salty but that’s not for you to think — there is a court where people study law(s), go to work and they will review evidence, and decide if someone is privacy offender — not you or someone here. Leave privacy to their capable hands.

On this note, it’s important to mention that all three are GDPR compliant and Israel is a country deemed by the EU to be offering the same level of privacy like EU countries, and is officially approved — companies are allowed by a stringent law to transfer data there.

Trend Micro’s benefit is that it truly feels premium (actually I’ve never seen anything that feels more premium than TM, not even Norton), the whole user experience is highly refined. Protection and performance are so-so. I would recommend that Trend is either run in hyper-sensitive mode or is combined with some sort of system hardening. Increase the Web Blocking aggressiveness to Max as well.

AVG offers great user experience (though not as refined as Trend Micro) and without a doubt, better protection and performance.

ZoneAlarm brings enterprise-grade technology such as the Anti-Ransomware and Zero-Phishing. Recently they added the Check Point Anti-Bot to it and that improved protection. It is also easy to use. The product does need some improvements.

You shouldn’t insist that your father uses software he doesn’t like because you or somebody on forums assumes that it offers better privacy.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
European rules around privacy, data collection, and data subjects' rights are considerably stronger than those in America, hence the need for rules of engagement that make US companies' treatment of EU data as good as what they'd get at home

Updated 28 February 2023:
EDPB welcomes substantial improvements such as the introduction of requirements embodying the principles of necessity and proportionality for U.S. intelligence gathering of data and the new redress mechanism for EU data subjects. At the same time, it expresses concerns and requests clarifications on several points. These relate, in particular, to certain rights of data subjects, onward transfers, the scope of exemptions, temporary bulk collection of data and the practical functioning of the redress mechanism.
Regarding government access to data transferred to the U.S., the EDPB acknowledges the significant improvements brought by Executive Order (EO) 14086. The EO introduces the concepts of necessity and proportionality with regard to U.S. intelligence-gathering of data (signals intelligence).
The EDPB also expresses concerns about the lack of a requirement of prior authorisation by an independent authority for the collection of data in bulk under Executive Order 12333, as well as the lack of systematic independent review ex post by a court or an equivalently independent body. With regard to prior independent authorisation of surveillance under Section 702 FISA, the EDPB regrets that the FISA Court does not review compliance with Executive Order 14086 when certifying programmes authorising the targeting of non-U.S. persons, even though the intelligence authorities carrying out the programme are bound by it.

Interesting as the " signal intelligence " ( NSA ) been and still is, the elephant in the room that made many government agencies and companies also in Scandinavia strongly opposed against it as they even stopped using some cloud service platforms. Teams as one example.

Personal I wouldn't use or recommend any of OPs 3 AV choices.
Data Encryption. Confidential and sensitive files should be encrypted for any digitally stored data.

If data is indeed (?) stored in the cloud, Cryptomator - Free Cloud Encryption can provide additional protection. Or NordLocker Personal offers 3GB with E2E and email support.
he dont like online cloud data he stored on a encrypted drive also anoter backup ssd stored in safe in his room
Read up on the basic backup rule called 3-2-1 as that will help him practice better privacy/security. Good luck!

Ailean33

Thread author
May 8, 2023
I don’t blame him.

If your father wants to use any of these three, they are all quite good and have their benefits, and you should stop wasting your time with privacy debacles. Nobody really knows what’s going on inside a company and you can only assume they all abide the laws. If they don’t, penalties are quite salty but that’s not for you to think — there is a court where people study law(s), go to work and they will review evidence, and decide if someone is privacy offender — not you or someone here. Leave privacy to their capable hands.

On this note, it’s important to mention that all three are GDPR compliant and Israel is a country deemed by the EU to be offering the same level of privacy like EU countries, and is officially approved — companies are allowed by a stringent law to transfer data there.

Trend Micro’s benefit is that it truly feels premium (actually I’ve never seen anything that feels more premium than TM, not even Norton), the whole user experience is highly refined. Protection and performance are so-so. I would recommend that Trend is either run in hyper-sensitive mode or is combined with some sort of system hardening. Increase the Web Blocking aggressiveness to Max as well.

AVG offers great user experience (though not as refined as Trend Micro) and without a doubt, better protection and performance.

ZoneAlarm brings enterprise-grade technology such as the Anti-Ransomware and Zero-Phishing. Recently they added the Check Point Anti-Bot to it and that improved protection. It is also easy to use. The product does need some improvements.

You shouldn’t insist that your father uses software he doesn’t like because you or somebody on forums assumes that it offers better privacy.
he hate g-data because of its support he report afew issue to them like 1.5GB ram usage and sometime when power goes down database got problem system going to freez mode and after full update all work good some other things to but they dont give a damn about those things and they replay oh we know about those but we WILL fix them but for whole year they are do nothing.

Updated 28 February 2023:

Interesting as the " signal intelligence " ( NSA ) been and still is, the elephant in the room that made many government agencies and companies also in Scandinavia strongly opposed against it as they even stopped using some cloud service platforms. Teams as one example.

Personal I wouldn't use or recommend any of OPs 3 AV choices.

Read up on the basic backup rule called 3-2-1 as that will help him practice better privacy/security. Good luck!

can you please tell me you're suggested av?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
can you please tell me you're suggested av?
sometime when power goes down database got problem system going to freez mode
Since it don't exist any Antivirus solution that can fix or handle a failing/broken power supply in any local machine, apartment or house, it's impossible to suggest any AV as the problem is crystal clear not that to begin with. I 100% understand GData as they supply software security solutions and not PSU ( power supply unit ) or other power solutions.

I strongly recommend you start a new thread here instead and be sure to include your dads hardware specs:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Since it don't exist any Antivirus solution that can fix or handle a failing/broken power supply in any local machine,
I believe what was meant there is that on power off or sudden power loss, G Data causes some bug with the database (not sure what and how). @Ailean33 what is the issue, do you see any error message or something? Has reinstalling G Data been attempted?

Reactions: Ailean33

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I believe what was meant there is that on power off or sudden power loss, G Data causes some bug with the database (not sure what and how). @Ailean33 what is the issue, do you see any error message or something? Has reinstalling G Data been attempted?
Didn't I just mention PSU as a possible problem? :unsure: Never heard of any AV vendor been able to handle failed databases because of machines power issues. That's being way too farfetched.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Didn't I just mention PSU as a possible problem? :unsure: Never heard of any AV vendor been able to handle failed databases because of machines power issues. That's being way too farfetched.
Normally any issues with the database like for example during update system was shut down (or power went off, might be any of these) they will handle it by redownloading any damaged file. They do check constantly if everything with the database is OK. No idea 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ailean33

Thread author
May 8, 2023
Since it don't exist any Antivirus solution that can fix or handle a failing/broken power supply in any local machine, apartment or house, it's impossible to suggest any AV as the problem is crystal clear not that to begin with. I 100% understand GData as they supply software security solutions and not PSU ( power supply unit ) or other power solutions.

I strongly recommend you start a new thread here instead and be sure to include your dads hardware specs:
PSU is brand new upgraded last month also when power outages from city power plant thats beyond psu and only with g-data this problem happen i read on forum other people having same problem aswell.so its not gpu and gpu faults also ram working ok so that 1.5GB usage its not ram problem too:)
middle of working whole city goes dark because of power outage,yes we reinstalling that buggy software more than 10 times for those problem my father deal with,this is why he say even for free he dont want to see even g-data logo on anyware:ROFLMAO:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
This whole thing with the database is very weird, the Bitdefender database is split amongst many files (about 2K if I remember correctly) with various file extensions. Update works by replacing the whole file which is rather small. If there is an electric shock, there is no immediate reason why the database would be damaged. If it is damaged, then it can’t be that all 2K files are not what they should be, integrity check (by comparing hashes) can be ran to identify files needing replacement.

It does sound like a bug. Specially if other people are experiencing it too. It is best discussed with G Data.

Ailean33

Thread author
May 8, 2023
This whole thing with the database is very weird, the Bitdefender database is split amongst many files (about 2K if I remember correctly) with various file extensions. Update works by replacing the whole file which is rather small. If there is an electric shock, there is no immediate reason why the database would be damaged. If it is damaged, then it can’t be that all 2K files are not what they should be, integrity check (by comparing hashes) can be ran to identify files needing replacement.

It does sound like a bug. Specially if other people are experiencing it too. It is best discussed with G Data.
5month ago we report that and another 5 problem to them but they dont give a thing about those bug with this level of attention to the users its not worth to renew or buy again (protection good-privacy too good)but bugs(old+new) are out there and customer support is aware of some but they not give a damn so not worth the time for report again and again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.