PrMi New Config

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi PrMi, and thank you for sharing your configuration. I support the tips offered by both jamescv7 & illumination in securing your system. A little effort makes a lot of sense.:)

To secure privacy when using Google Chrome you can browse using "Incognito". This deletes your browsing history when the session ends. It also disables extensions which may track you, so to allow Adblock (plus other helpful extensions like LastPass) go to "settings", then >> "extensions". Make sure to check the box allowing Adblock when in Incognito.

A free program that safely removes accumulated temp files, and can be used daily to keep your system clear & light is CCleaner.
You may opt to extract the portable version, instead, onto an external USB flash drive. It is located at the very bottom of the linked page under "Builds". The portable version places no additions to your system registry.

Chrome provides a built in 3rd party cookie blocker!o_O
To activate the cookie blocker, find it under "Settings".
  1. Scroll down to the bottom, & <click> Advanced Settings
  2. Beneath "Privacy" <click> Content settings
chrome-content-settings-png.22523

For privacy, you can un-check everything :rolleyes:(above) though keep "Enable phishing and malware protection" selected.
3. Mark the box "Block third party cookies and site data".:cool:
To insure removal of data, instead of "Allow", choose "Keep local data only until you quit...browser". :D

Last edited:

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Hello, PrMi.. First of all, you should definitely follow suit the advice given above.
Then, I have two more recommendations:
- add one more on-demand scanner (maybe HitmanPro)
- add WOT & HTTPS Everywhere to your browser.
Thanks for sharing!

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Ummm... sigh there's nothing left for me to add lol. Thanks for the share, is your Bitdefender a full year license or just a trial ? If it's a trial give either Eset SS 8 or NIS 2015 a run.

Cheers

PrMi

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Thanks everyone! I use a 500gb external hdd for backup. And i use ccleaner also. The chrome thing u mentioned was already enabled.
I dont use hitman pro because i already have bitdefender + malwarebytes which i tested on virus sign 1 day old samples and it gave about 99% detection.
I have used eset but theres no zero day protection so i dont prefer it. I have bitdefender 9 months liscence. And yes, i also use adblock.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Your config is strong, i like it. I just have one suggestion maybe you should a password manager like LastPass or KeePass to secure your passwords when you are online.
Thanks for sharing:)

PrMi

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Windows firewall. It's simple and effective. I don't use pass manager because they are risky. If hackers gain access to pc they can acces the software database and get all passwords. If I win emsisoft internet security licence they ill switch to it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Could you explain how "hackers" will gain access to your computer, for the password manager situation. Cheers. :D

Do you log out of every website you visit, after you close or move away from the PC?

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Lol the pc security channel said so
i sure hope you have strong CPU.
my point of view is different than the others. i like to have my pc as free as possible.
i would remove MBAM pro or disable it. (that's what i did in mine), i would definitely remove AVG Pc tuneup 2015 and i see no resume to have HITMANPRO. One security suite is more than enough.
the most important thing as mention is backup and again backup
marcuim reflect
aoemi backuper.

cheers

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Lol the pc security channel said so
Don't be a sheep. :p Try out LastPass or any other, and you'll see it is secure. Just don't leave your laptop open on the park bench for others to use.

Reactions: PrMi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.