Problem with Yahoo Hijack of Search Bar

MaidenJane

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2014
I can't seem to find it when I am browsing for it - only when I do a search - so I don't know how to upload it to zippyshare

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Press Windows Key + R

and copy the location I give to you.

Then find preferences file. Copy it to Desktop and then upload.

MaidenJane

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2014
I located preferences and copied to desktop, but when I try to upload it here, it doesn't show up.

MaidenJane

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2014
I did that yesterday. I also uninstalled chrome and reinstalled. I'm taking a look at my startup file to see if there's anything there.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Download attached fixlist.txt on the same location as FRST (otherwise the fix won't work)
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system

Open FRST, and click Fix. Attach me that report after it is finished.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 81

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Now try to change search provide and tell me how is the situation.

Go to Setting and press Search Engines. Make Google as default.

MaidenJane

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2014
Prior to this I also did browser reset in chrome settings and restarted. So far, I've done 5 searches with no yahoo showing.

MaidenJane

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2014
I am holding my breath. I can't thank you enough. May I ask what the problem was and/or how you identified it or is that trade secrets. Either way, I'm buying you a beer, or maybe a case (or two.) We like Great Lakes here in Cleveland!

OK, I just went back and it is here again. This is truly maddening. You can just throw in the towel because I am ready to do so. I know I'm going to end up with a wipe clean and I am dreading that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.