Troubleshoot Problems with AMD Graphics Card after update to Windows 10 Build 586

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
All games stutterring, with graphics freezing sometimes
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reinstalled AMD drivers, Reinstalled DirectX, Reinstalled Sound Drivers, Updated Motherboard Chipset Drivers, sfc and Dism commands used for repair, restored to a image previous to update and allowed update to happen once more.
I have a rather robust notebook with an I7,Intel HD5500/AMD R7 m260 switchable graphics board and 8gb of RAM.

Windows 10 was extremely smooth in my machine until the 586 update that basically stopped all games from working. I've tried all the steps pointed in the description to no effect and I am seeing no other way but a full clean install, which will have to wait for a few weeks as this also happens to be my work computer and this is normally the busiest period of the year for me.

If anyone has any idea that will save me a format and full reinstall please tell me. :)

I

illumination

I would double check in device manager that you are indeed updating to the latest driver, and not having Microsoft jam a driver in between the uninstallation of the old one and the installation of the new. I have started downloading my Nvidia driver to the desktop, and disconnecting from the internet to keep this from happening.

Upvote 0

songoku316

Level 6
Verified
Jul 25, 2014
the problem is not your video card drivers is the new build i highly recommend you to use build 10122 and stop update if you want
to play games

Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
@songoku316 Any links? I'd like to read about that. I still have images from before the update and could return, but how do I stop the update?

@vindiesel I have licenses for Windows 7,8 and 10... and have been considering formatting and clean installing one of them. But not right now, as I said in my OP this is the busiest time of the year for me and a full reinstall of my software/databases from scratch will easily take me a full day, maybe two. And that's considering no software licenses has problems and forces me to contact vendor to reactivate :)

BTW I have now reverted to full stock Dell Drivers. The problem improved, but is not gone at all.

Upvote 0

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Good friend because only you which gives hope and when can format, if you want to go back to Windows 7 or 8.1, which is what I recommend you already Windows 10 Horn within 1 year do not think that this ready. I personally don't like Windows 10, telemetry, Keylogger, for my part it can be quedar.hasta that this not ready Windows 10 always have problems, now are lab rats who use it, it is my personal opinion.

Lucky friend.

Reactions: Kuttz
Upvote 0
I

illumination

@songoku316 Any links? I'd like to read about that. I still have images from before the update and could return, but how do I stop the update?

@vindiesel I have licenses for Windows 7,8 and 10... and have been considering formatting and clean installing one of them. But not right now, as I said in my OP this is the busiest time of the year for me and a full reinstall of my software/databases from scratch will easily take me a full day, maybe two. And that's considering no software licenses has problems and forces me to contact vendor to reactivate :)

BTW I have now reverted to full stock Dell Drivers. The problem improved, but is not gone at all.
Have you checked the other drivers from your manufacture, like chipset ect? MS just provides generic drivers, that may either be older "out of date" or lacking in features your manufacture may have modified.

I am on windows 10 with my ROG, and was able to play Call of Duty Advanced warfare on my laptop at 91 FPS smoothly, and the same with Black Ops 3. This was with Nvidia though, but took going through all of my drivers to make it work smoothly. If you have a little time, before giving up, I would look into trying to figure out the issue, then if you can not fix it, I would revert back.

Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
@illumination i tried the AMD drivers, including the new Crimson drivers released on the 24th. Crimson does not recognize I have switchable graphics and the previous AMD Catalyst drivers are all giving me the same problem.

Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Reverted all my drivers back to stock Dell approved drivers. The problem has diminished but I still get slow downs in most games. The problem seems to be OpenGL and old DirectX 9 games as pure DirectX 11 games, such as Banished, for instance, do not seem to be hit by the problem at all...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I have definitely isolated my problem to a directx 9 and 10 update that was released with verion 586. I couldn't find any way to restore it to an older version. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Just in case anyone else is having a similar problem, I found a solution. All I had to do was to install an older version of the Dell customized drivers for my AMD chip. Actually I'm using the last version before the release of Windows 10, dated April 2015. No problems and the AMD graphics no longer stutter or give me any other kind of headache.

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Aside from my main machines, which use NVIDIA GPU based graphics cards, I also own an Acer laptop which has an AMD Radeon GPU.
I did not encounter any serious issues when upgrading to Windows 10, regarding the functionality of my graphics card, except the fact that Windows Update had found an update for my GPU's drivers, and when that update was installed, Catalyst Control Center would crash on every boot (the classic "Catalyst Control Center has stopped working" message). However, the laptop functioned normally even with that crash, the only issue was just that Catalyst Control Center was completely unusable since I couldn't even manually launch it (it would simply not start).

So here's how I fixed the issue: I opened up the Device Manager, I found my GPU in the hardware list (under "Display Adapters") and I completely uninstalled the driver for it.

Shortly after that, Windows 10 automatically re-installed the driver, and then everything was working properly.

Now, while I don't guarantee that this methodology is going to help with your drivers issues too, I recommend giving it a try, and I hope it helps a bit.

Good luck if you try it, and please share your feedback with us after trying these steps! :D

Reactions: mlnevese
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
@DracusNarcrym I tried that. The only driver that solved the issue was a pre-windows 10 one.
Then you may use that one.
There is absolutely no guarantee about any non-recent drivers working on Windows 10... and that's unfortunately one of the great disadvantages of Windows 10 at the moment. Microsoft did check the hardware of users' systems before they could upgrade to Windows 10, but only to see if it's capable of running it, not if there are supported drivers for it.

Oh well, it's Microsoft. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
@DracusNarcrym Looks like later AMD drivers have some memory leak bugs and for some reason this particular model of Dell notebooks is hit hardly by it. The June Dell Driver does solve the problem. In a year or so I'll try whatever is the latest driver. If it's still bugged, I have saved the installer and DDU works quite well :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
@DracusNarcrym...If it's still bugged, I have saved the installer and DDU works quite well...
Saving the installer was a really good call...
About that Acer laptop of mine which I mentioned in a previous post in this thread: After Windows 10 was released, I was unable to download the driver for my graphics card from the official AMD website, as the download was seemingly removed from their website.
Saving the independent, offline installer will be very helpful if you ever need to install the driver manually. :p

Reactions: mlnevese
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.