Troubleshoot Problems with AMD Graphics Card after update to Windows 10 Build 586

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
All games stutterring, with graphics freezing sometimes
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reinstalled AMD drivers, Reinstalled DirectX, Reinstalled Sound Drivers, Updated Motherboard Chipset Drivers, sfc and Dism commands used for repair, restored to a image previous to update and allowed update to happen once more.
I have a rather robust notebook with an I7,Intel HD5500/AMD R7 m260 switchable graphics board and 8gb of RAM.

Windows 10 was extremely smooth in my machine until the 586 update that basically stopped all games from working. I've tried all the steps pointed in the description to no effect and I am seeing no other way but a full clean install, which will have to wait for a few weeks as this also happens to be my work computer and this is normally the busiest period of the year for me.

If anyone has any idea that will save me a format and full reinstall please tell me. :)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@illumination i tried the AMD drivers, including the new Crimson drivers released on the 24th. Crimson does not recognize I have switchable graphics and the previous AMD Catalyst drivers are all giving me the same problem.
First try the latest intel HD 5500 driver then do a reboot. After that, try installing the latest crimson driver. Since you've tried DDU, its better to have latest driver than playing lagging games. BTW, using r5 330M with i5 5200U. Tell me, if you encounter any issues.

Upvote 0

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I've had the same issue(s) keeps popping up saying Intel HD Graphics has stopped, but recovered. Kinda fed-up with Windows 10 crap updates.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
There is only one solution, Download the latest amd & intel gpu drivers and save it in safe location on your HDD. First remove intel hd gfx driver through control panel, reboot. Then follow the same procedure for AMD driver and reboot. After everything's uninstalled run DDU twice one is to clear intel & next run is for AMD. Remove temp files using ccleaner. Then run the latest downloaded intel HD GFX installer and then reboot and run the installer from AMD and you're good to go.

Upvote 0

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
I believe there may be new Crimson Drivers released 12/17: Download Drivers

If your OEM/PC manufacturer has updated ones, that's an option too.

I don't know which is best.

BUT, please make backups!!

I believe there may be an option to turn off or defer Automatic forced updates, at least for a short period of time?

Reactions: Vasudev
Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
@soccer97 The latest Dell drivers give me the same bug. Automatic video drivers update has been disabled by DDU.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I've been considering if I should do a clean install... I really wouldn't like to have this trouble when my only problem is with the AMD graphics.

I would have to contact support for the Database software I use to reactivate my copy, and there's always all the Dell stuff that is useless, but may raise questions from a buyer if I ever sell this computer...

And then I would have to restore all my files and applications to the computer...

I think it's a lot of work for such a minor inconvenience of not being able to update to the latest drivers...

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
Upvote 0

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Just in case anyone is interested or was having the same problem, the latest AMD Crimson drivers (16.10 hotfix) fixed the slowdown bugs. I am now using the latest drivers with no problems at all. Actually I had a speed increase in all the games I tested :)

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Just in case anyone is interested or was having the same problem, the latest AMD Crimson drivers (16.10 hotfix) fixed the slowdown bugs. I am now using the latest drivers with no problems at all. Actually I had a speed increase in all the games I tested :)
Great to hear. I was reading around in some subreddits and forums that most users found the hotfix beneficial, however a small fraction claimed that they experienced random crashes after they updated to the hotfix.

Reactions: mlnevese
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.