Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
In most instances when I try to bring up Process Explorer I don't get the GUI. Task Manager shows it bogging down at around 4050 K Mem Usage and 6360 K VM Size and just staying there. It does not appear on Task Manager's Applications list.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
In order to try to fix this, I have reinstalled Process Explorer twice, the second time after deleting it. (Uninstall was not possible.) I also added Process explorer to Quick Launch. I try to launch it from its Program Files folder, from the Startup folder, from the Start menu, and from Quick Launch. Only if I'm lucky do I get the GUI.
One thing is different. I noticed that on startup, I am getting two PE processes, although PE is configured to show only one instance.

According to the little bar with which I monitor CPU Usage and Memory, I do have enough to spare of both for PE to come up.

I use Process Explorer and Task Manager as a duo to run my system.

I am also having responsiveness of Outlook Express be an on-and-off thing today, having to reboot at times to get it to work.

Computer
Dell Computer Dimension 2400 (desktop) 2003
Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition (original and pre-installed) 32-bit SP3
reinstalled 02-20-2014
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
2.00GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
Storage
80 GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA) 28 °C
3.94 GBGB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
500.11 GB HGST USB Device (external hard drive)
Optical Drives
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Anti-Virus
Roboscan
Browser
Maxthon 4.4.1.5000

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
Process Explorer is a portable program so there is no install for it

i see under options you can run at startup but you say you installed Process Explorer and tryed to
uninstall it so are you sure it is this Process Explorer from here?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

you say your Antivirus software is Roboscan have you tryed to scan with other scanners like
Malwarebytes and Hitman pro and see if thay find anything

i'v never heard of Process Explorer being installed you just delete the folder since it is portable

:)

James

Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Yes. it's the Sysinternals Process Explorer. I guess I was technically wrong to say I reinstalled it. I don't know what would be the proper term.

I haven't done an on-demand scan yet. I suppose I''ll do that tonight.

Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I should have thought of this first. I had just in the last few days added something to autostart, File Extension Monitor. I took that off autostart, and it appears these problems have gone away.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.