Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi everyone,

I need some help with process explorer. I'm in Hungary now
My process explorer has 86 processes, when I activated VT checking, it showed "The operation timed out". It rarely succeeds. I tested it with my main PC, w10 x64, and also in a windows 7 32bit VM (which has much less processes)

The only solution is to use a VPN and change the location to anywhere else other than Hungary. In this case, it rarely fails

What is the problem here? How can I fix it without changing my VPN?
Thank you so much
XEBstYa.png

W

Wave

Well if it doesn't work well when you have an Hungarian IP address but it works fine when you have an IP address from another location then I think it's safe to say that either your internet connection when using the Hungarian IP address is either not very good (e.g. bad servers) or VirusTotal have an issue with the network transmission for Hungarian users?

For example, I've experienced a very slow internet connection when using my normal home IP address before... After enabling CyberGhost or ZenMate I've found my internet speed to increase - I do not know the internals of how this works but it just happens to work this way sometimes.

Can you go back to the Hungarian IP address and try to scan a few files at VirusTotal at the same time using multiple tabs and see if it's quick and normal or super slow?

I'm going to follow this thread, I'm generally curious for the outcome. :)

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Well if it doesn't work well when you have an Hungarian IP address but it works fine when you have an IP address from another location then I think it's safe to say that either your internet connection when using the Hungarian IP address is either not very good (e.g. bad servers) or VirusTotal have an issue with the network transmission for Hungarian users?

For example, I've experienced a very slow internet connection when using my normal home IP address before... After enabling CyberGhost or ZenMate I've found my internet speed to increase - I do not know the internals of how this works but it just happens to work this way sometimes.

Can you go back to the Hungarian IP address and try to scan a few files at VirusTotal at the same time using multiple tabs and see if it's quick and normal or super slow?

I'm going to follow this thread, I'm generally curious for the outcome. :)
I did it many times ago. Sometimes, I couldn't even access Virustotal.com. The upload speed is random, sometimes it's instant, sometimes, it stays at 0% for 10 minutes
I tried to use the official VT uploaded v2.2 but it frequently failed to upload files

What I learnt from process explorer and VT when I'm using hungarian IP is I should keep the number of processes as minimal as possible, in this case it has a chance to complete the operation of checking hashes. If I open chrome and open PE after, 99% it would fail (the operation timed out)

I think VT has a problem with hungarian ISP because I have a connection of 100Mbs (~7.5MB/s download speed) and relatively low ping. I use google DNS and openDNS. Both don't help :(

Reactions: tim one and Wave
Upvote 0
W

Wave

I did it many times ago. Sometimes, I couldn't even access Virustotal.com. The upload speed is random, sometimes it's instant, sometimes, it stays at 0% for 10 minutes
I tried to use the official VT uploaded v2.2 but it frequently failed to upload files

What I learnt from process explorer and VT when I'm using hungarian IP is I should keep the number of processes as minimal as possible, in this case it has a chance to complete the operation of checking hashes. If I open chrome and open PE after, 99% it would fail (the operation timed out)

I think VT has a problem with hungarian ISP because I have a connection of 100Mbs (~7.5MB/s download speed) and relatively low ping. I use google DNS and openDNS. Both don't help :(
Contact - VirusTotal - you'll find all the answers to your problems! ;)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.