Prorootect's config - updated 2013

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
RE: Prorootect's config

Prorootect the only suggestion i can give to u is use Linux. Go fur Ubuntu. USe Lubuntu or Xubuntu for lightweight. 1gb is actually sufficient for Win 7 guys. Have used it but recently upgraded. No deal of commonsense can protect u without av. The only place it can protect you is either offline or In Linux. At least you can put some free av. Give us a good reason why arent u using an av.

And to clear your misconception XP SP3 has no side effects.
How can u be in low level of security risk. Using this config you are at 99.99pc security risk. At least use a virtual pc if no AV
If u want my suggestion for over a year i have used Win7 on 1GB just try it u will love it.

P

Plexx

well each user is free to use what config, and we are also free to give any valuable feedback :)

Xubuntu I believe its more lightweight than Lubuntu (last time I checked), but i could be wrong :)

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011

BoXX28 wrote:
'I'm okay with your choice for not using a Real Time AV and updating to Service Pack 3. It's just that we want you to be more secure. We have freedom of choice anyway.'

Earth wrote: 'Windows XP can run perfectly with only 1GB of RAM, no need to upgrade or switch OS.'

Biozfear wrote: 'well each user is free to use what config, and we are also free to give any valuable feedback'

I like you all, you see?..:heart::heart::heart:

I like you all.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011

You are testing a new approach to security: instead of trying to update/improve your security to keep up with the ever evolving malware, you just stand still and patiently wait for malware to become incompatible with your platform. Unfortunately XP SP2 isn't yet old enough for that and most malware still works on it. Just joking, hope no one gets offended. :D

Seriously now: I admit that when Win7 was launched and Microsoft said the is the safest Windows I didn't take their word for it and waited a few months, after all only time can tell if a new OS is safe or not, but the situation here is different. I'm sure that SP2 works for you and I can see that you keep the level of security risk low by avoiding Facebook, Flash, Java, P2P, Warez, etc.... but still... The jump from SP2 to SP3 is small and shouldn't break compatibility with any existing applications or increase the resource usage of your OS so I see no reason to keep using SP2.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011

@bogdan:

Quote:
'I admit that when Win7 was launched and Microsoft said the is the safest Windows I didn't take their word for it and waited a few months, after all only time can tell if a new OS is safe or not ..'
- You're a wise man.

Quote:
'The jump from SP2 to SP3 is small and shouldn't break compatibility with any existing applications or increase the resource usage of your OS so I see no reason to keep using SP2.'
- Hmm .. Bogdan, I see that it is necessary that I tell you all here .. So listen: I've W. XP Media Center edition (how awful - I am ashamed to have bought this one, but I was not informed enough before .. this is my first - and last - PC). So now you know my reasons? :cool:
Many people have complained of problems of incompatibility between Media Center PC's and SP3, you must be occure ..

PS. Of course, I've slept all Media Center files .. :angel:

I tell you all here ..;)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

With those programs running in Real Time, Your more secured than having no Real Time Protection software at all. I suggest that you try WinPatrol and pay for the PLUS version since it's a lifetime license and it's worth it. You can ditch StartupMonitor and Tiny Watcher since WinPatrol already covers the aspects that these 2 software covers.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

No programs in the world can defend you from holes in your OS. Upgrading to SP3 will address those issues. Try this Prorootect. Backup your system onto an external HDD. Image it that is. Then download and install SP3 and see what happens. I bet you will be just fine. I just fine it odd that you keep coming up with excuses of why not to install SP3 but none of them are justifiable. As I previously mentioned the first step in keeping malware free is having an up to date OS. This is actually in Jacks malware removal/prevention steps.

Note: No where am I arguing or flaming. This is security advice. Thanks.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

Service Pack 3 saves you from most security holes and you'll lose nothing so try it.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Maximus said:
No programs in the world can defend you from holes in your OS. Upgrading to SP3 will address those issues. Try this Prorootect. Backup your system onto an external HDD. Image it that is. Then download and install SP3 and see what happens. I bet you will be just fine. I just fine it odd that you keep coming up with excuses of why not to install SP3 but none of them are justifiable. As I previously mentioned the first step in keeping malware free is having an up to date OS. This is actually in Jacks malware removal/prevention steps.

Note: No where am I arguing or flaming. This is security advice. Thanks.

Totally agree. Service Pack 3 has alot more security updates then Service Pack 2 does so it is better to update it.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

If you really insist on having no AV, then I suggest you at least give Comodo Firewall + Def + (HIPS) a try and see how that works, as even though you do not visit loads of places like warez etc, still does not make you anymore secure as nowadays even the most secure sites are getting attacked (speedtest etc).

We all have our own ways, so does not make what I say right, or you wrong... interesting setup still though I must say. But do have to agree with the SP3, best off updating to that imo.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

Please, get an antivirus. These years the internet became a very dangerous place. And don't forget Windows XP has many vulnerabilities, which makes it a weak OS. Get something Like Avast Free, AVG Free, Avira Free, Comodo Intrnet Security (for advanced users).

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
Please, get an antivirus. These years the internet became a very dangerous place. And don't forget Windows XP has many vulnerabilities, which makes it a weak OS. Get something Like Avast Free, AVG Free, Avira Free, Comodo Intrnet Security (for advanced users).

Very good advice. Except that he is using an unsupported OS. So not matter what product he uses the manufactures do not support his OS. So if he every has an issue with Avast and seeks help from them they will not care.

I will also add that malware infections with an unsupported/out of date OS are more severe then with an up to date OS. Malware can do more damage using SP2 then SP3. Malware is coded and seeks out users with out of date Windows. Having an out of date OS is like giving a drug addict some crack. He will be all over it. So removing the malware will be twice as hard and the damage/after effects left behind will also be harder to remove. If you are hit with malware then most likely your only choice to rectify it is to reformat.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011

'Please, get an antivirus.'
'Please, get an antivirus.'
Then: 'Please, get an antivirus.'
.. or 'reformat.':dodgy:

Listen, what should I do with you all, with these choirs .. I know - I want to send you the same gift that I have: the AV! Yes! I have a tiny, pretty AV .. I have confessed all .. follow me to C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ Mrt.exe - do right click, then sends it to the Desktop .. this is my antivirus! And yours, if you follow me. Not pretty, this gift? .. Very adequate for my needs. Never nothing.:cool:

Hmm .. I defend myself as a lion, yes?
So another gift for you all - many beautiful lion shots! here on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R72fC13I7XM&feature=player_embedded

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

Why do you keep beating around the bush about installing SP3? There is no legit reasoning for not installing it. We are all here to help each and learn from each other.

P

Plexx

I still say he is better off installing Linux for his needs.

Sticking to XP SP2 is not a good idea. Even I have XP SP3 on my old Desktop.

I do however have a question. In regard to the version of XueTR which is a tool used in China, would it be better using NhsScan AntiRootkit?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Its really highly recommended to upgrade to SP3 since most vulnerabilities would be fixed and as current/latest SP as possible.

And actually MRT (Malicious Removal Tool) is just a scanner so you need something a realtime protection there.

P

Plexx

I think it is safe to say that if the OP wanted advice, he would have taken our advice already...

So with that said, I guess we can stop giving him suggestions unless he asks for.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

Guys, We all have freedom of choice so no need to bug the heck out of him if he doesn't want to upgrade to Service Pack 3 and install an Antivirus. He knows what he's doing so he's way better than the average user with an outdated Operating System.

D

Deleted member 178

I agree with Boxx, our choices are not his choices, i like running 2 RT AV, when everybody will say to me its useless/overkill, if we know what we doing then it is fine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.