Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMESWT

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2014
Data protection is a interesting feature but i don't think is infallible... Backup is the only way... offline backup not accessible in a lan or wlan... backup data and deatach backup support from pc and lan

LABView707

Level 3
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
The best an only protection against any type of malware is to have a backup solution. Many lack that. Twice a week I image my pc. If I get infected so what? If ransomeware locks my pc so what? Put in my AOMEI bootable cd. Plug in my external HDD. Boot off the cd. Mount the stored image and within an hour I am back like nothing ever happened. Best security solution ever.

Reactions: Moose and JAMESWT

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
The best an only protection against any type of malware is to have a backup solution. Many lack that. Twice a week I image my pc. If I get infected so what? If ransomeware locks my pc so what? Put in my AOMEI bootable cd. Plug in my external HDD. Boot off the cd. Mount the stored image and within an hour I am back like nothing ever happened. Best security solution ever.

And if you want a second protection against that, that will still work for a while but less as the time goes as Cryptowares will destroy it, is to activate the "Windows Shadow Volume Copy" service to keep old versions of your files on your system and restore them from there. However, some Cryptowares are now destroyed that service cache and therefore ruining your chance to recover your encrypted files using this service. But there's still a chance that it remains intact and that you can use it in the end.

If I may add, make sure that your external HDD isn't connected 24/7 to your computer, in case the Cryptoware "feels" like encrypted it's data too. Only allow it to connect for it's scheduled back-up for safety.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but this Video is from last year; it may have worked then but the current version (3.something) certainly doesn't against today's Cryptors. This can be demonstrated easily as Malware1 has included a few CrytoWall samples in a pack posted earlier: http://malwaretips.com/threads/2014-08-15-27.31801/#post-244580

Panda Cloud 3 neither detects nor protects.

Reactions: Ink and Moose

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
@Huracan,

Thank you!
For the information!;)

And one of the others members at
malwaretips.com
Had a link for Comparing 20 Drive Imaging Software Backup/Restore speed and Image Size

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/10-comm...-features-and-backuprestore-speed-comparison/

@LABview707,

"The best an only protection against any type of malware is to have a backup solution. Many lack that. Twice a week I image my pc. If I get infected so what? If ransomeware locks my pc so what? Put in my AOMEI bootable cd. Plug in my external HDD. Boot off the cd. Mount the stored image and within an hour I am back like nothing ever happened. Best security solution ever."

Hopefully, the above link will provide answer for backup solution. In which there are different opinions.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.