New Update Proton Pass is now available (Features, Security model and Plans)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
" Proton Pass is an end-to-end encrypted password manager based on the same well-tested encryption that secures the rest of the Proton ecosystem. Proton Pass is unique in that it was designed from the ground up to have a strong focus on privacy and security. It therefore has a more complete encryption model than most other password managers.

Proton Pass doesn’t just encrypt the password field but applies end-to-end encryption to all fields, including usernames, web addresses, and all data contained in the encrypted notes section.

This means Proton Pass prevents anyone, including Proton itself, from knowing which online services you subscribe to or have accounts with. This information, much like your emails or your browsing history, can reveal a lot about you and must be protected if you want to maintain your privacy.

The design of Proton Pass uses end-to-end encryption, guaranteeing that all cryptographic operations, including key generation and data encryption, are performed locally on your device. This means that your unencrypted data cannot be accessed by Proton or shared with any third parties. Proton servers never have access to your unencrypted keys, data, or credentials, including your Proton Account password. "

Read more about further details:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Interesting. Would love to test but I only have a free account lol.
Even me as paid user, cannot use it at this time!
Support told me below: (with permission of them, I copy here.)

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in Proton Pass.

Proton Pass is currently available to all Proton Lifetime users and is gradually being rolled out to all Visionary users as well. We plan to expand access to the beta to all paying users over the following period, however, we cannot provide you with an exact timeline for this.

Thank you for your understanding.
Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Kind regards,
Proton Pass Team

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
KeePassXC Comments
KeePassXC said:
To summarise: You are publishing a new password manager? Cool!

It's fully open source? Awesome!

You are posting a bunch of insincere, misleading, and made-up reasons why people should be using it? Not cool!

ProtonMail Response via Reddit
u/ProtonMail said:
There are actually two blog posts about Pass. One for a general audience (that today mostly uses the world's most popular password manager: Google), and also a technical blog post for the more technical community.

The technical blog posts (and the other technical blogs and notes they link to) tend to get overlooked, but they do go more in depth into cryptographic design and some of the things we do differently/better (like the reasons we deviate from SRP RFC-5054, and things of that nature).

The tech blog post can be found here: The Proton Pass security model | Proton.

As others have observed, it should be clear we're not targeting Keepass. We haven't even added a Keepass importer yet, so we honestly didn't even have Keepass in mind, and didn't imagine we would bother them so much. That being said, we have published our security model, so people can draw their own conclusions. And there will also obviously be more coming as the Proton Pass beta progresses.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Well, I managed to get on the Beta program for Proton Pass, so I thought I'd share a screenshot with those interested in the app.

Obviously, I'm still very new to this but happy to share what information I can...

IMG_1306.png

iOS version.

Unfortunately at this stage there is no import function for Apple Keychain or DDG password manager's and I can't be bothered, atm, to manually re-enter all my current password list.

IMG_1308.png

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Unfortunately at this stage there is no import function for Apple Keychain or DDG password manager's and I can't be bothered, atm, to manually re-enter all my current password list.
As a workaround open Safari on Mac.
At the top bar, click on File -> Export -> Passwords.
Save the passwords as a CSV (coma separated values file).
Once this is done, see below how to import to Proton.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
IMG_1312.png
IMG_1309.png

As a workaround open Safari on Mac.
At the top bar, click on File -> Export -> Passwords.
Save the passwords as a CSV (coma separated values file).
Once this is done, see below how to import to Proton.
A good idea, I might have missed something, but, ATM, there's no extension for Safari or DDG and the iOS app doesn't offer an import function(that I can find).

IMG_1310.png

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
The Swiss technology company Proton AG has launched its password manager called Proton Pass globally. The open-source password manager was announced earlier this year and it was available as a beta version to the users of Proton Lifetime, Visionary, and Family plans.

Proton says its password manager stores all the user credentials in an end-to-end encrypted digital vault and comes with a built-in password generator that can automatically suggest new passwords when creating accounts online. It provides single-click functionality on websites to autofill credentials and 2FA codes generated by its built-in authenticator.

Full article and some information on:

Downloads as iOS/Android & Browser Extensions and (No PC/Mac)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Proton misleading their users with inaccurate information.
  • Though not free, 1Password does include 2FA support for sites, the “N/A” is blatantly wrong.
  • Integrated 2FA is limited to 3 sites on Proton Pass Free plan, should be visualised by a “N/A” or Red X.
Would rather be interested to see Proton Pass (Paid) compared to other Paid services.

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 14.50.10.png

Edit: Change Title from Beta to Stable, as stated in this comment.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Proton Free and Proton Pass Plus Comparison​

Proton Free supports use on an unlimited number of devices and unlimited logins and notes. It limits alias email addresses to 10.

Proton Pass Plus has a number of exclusive features. It lifts the email alias limited and includes support for an integrated 2FA authenticator. Next to that, it allows users to create multiple vaults to better organize passwords and notes, and will soon allow the autofilling of credit cards as well.

Comparison to other services​

Proton Pass supports core features of a password manager. The service lacks dedicated desktop programs and some features that top-of-the-line password managers such as Bitwarden support, at least in the commercial version.

Bitwarden supports the storing of notes and credit cards, enhanced two-step login, emergency access and vault health reports. It is also available for about $1 per month, just like Proton Pass is currently during the promotional period.

Proton Pass is a well designed password manager that will certainly get some of the missing features in future updates. It will certainly attract users, especially those who use other Proton services already.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
When you first sign up for a Proton Pass account (or activate Pass for the first time if you already use Proton services), you can enjoy most of the benefits of a full Pass Plus plan for seven days.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.