New Update Proton VPN for the Browser - New for Premium users!

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It is a premium feature available to everyone with a paid Proton VPN plan (Proton VPN Plus, Proton Unlimited, Proton Visionary, or Proton for Business)
The Proton VPN browser extension provides a convenient and secure way to protect your privacy online.

You asked, we listened. We are excited to announce the Proton VPN browser extension in beta, one of our most requested features. With the browser extension, you can:
  • Easily protect your browser traffic with the VPN, without affecting speeds or the IP address of the other apps on your system. For example, you can browse privately without affecting the ping rates for online games. Or you can stream from another country in one browser while shopping for the best local deals in a different browser.
  • Connect to different VPN servers in different browsers
  • Browse privately on your work computer while connected to your company VPN
  • Browse privately on devices where you don’t have the admin rights to install a full VPN app
  • Protect your privacy on low-end devices that struggle to run a full VPN app
The Proton VPN browser extension is available for Chromium-based browsers (such as Google Chrome, Brave, Microsoft Edge, Chromium, Opera, and Vivaldi) and Firefox-based browsers (including Firefox itself, LibreWolf, and Waterfox).

It is a premium feature available to everyone with a paid Proton VPN plan (Proton VPN Plus, Proton Unlimited, Proton Visionary, or Proton for Business).
In the future, you’ll be able to use advanced features from our VPN app on our browser extension, like Secure Core and split tunneling.

As always with Proton VPN, the browser extension will be made open source so that you can trust (and verify) its code.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
10-58-21.gif

Testing 1 month as I had some credits I was unaware of. A bit shaky in Opera at the moment so I need to test in a few other browsers.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Typical, no Mac version!

I am already an Ultimate subscriber and use their Mail, Drive, VPN and Calendar and highly recommend them.
It's a Beta release for browsers, so your not missing out on much. For Safari specific I don't know, but for system wide use it does exist a Mac version.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
It's a Beta release for browsers, so your not missing out on much. For Safari specific I don't know, but for system wide use it does exist a Mac version.

Cheers, made a booboo, didn't read your post properly. You were talking browser extensions not OS's.

I use all Proton's Mac stuff already, early adopter.

Reactions: upnorth and Trident

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
i dont see the point in the extension (unless you dont have admin rights to install the full app)

with the full app you can split tunnel different apps/browsers/ip addresses etc)

e.g right now at office I have brave (personal) vpn'd and edge (work) not tunnelled... no extensions needed.. just the desktop app.... which supports much more..
as far as i can tell the only advantage for the extension would be if you didn't have admin rights on a machine to install the desktop app.

I also dont think the extension yet supports secure core... interesting though and its always nice to have the options / features as to what works best for the user.

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I am already an Ultimate subscriber and use their Mail, Drive, VPN and Calendar and highly recommend them.
As a ProtonMail Plus subscriber, their Mail and VPN services is their bread and butter. I'd give it a few more years for their Calendar and Drive services to mature, as in their current state, they are basic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
i dont see the point in the extension (unless you dont have admin rights to install the full app)

with the full app you can split tunnel different apps/browsers/ip addresses etc)

e.g right now at office I have brave (personal) vpn'd and edge (work) not tunnelled... no extensions needed.. just the desktop app.... which supports much more..
as far as i can tell the only advantage for the extension would be if you didn't have admin rights on a machine to install the desktop app.
If you read the blog post they explain its purpose, bullet pointed for ease of reading.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.