Battle ProtonVPN vs Windscribe. Not the Free plans!

ProtonVPN vs Windscribe, what vendors paid subscription/plan would You prefer?

• ProtonVPN

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Windscribe

Votes: 14 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Compare list
ProtonVPN vs WindscribeVPN
Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows
  2. Windows on Arm (Qualcomm)

3. Apple Mac (M1 and newer)
  4. Mac (Intel / Rosetta 2)
  5. Android
  6. iOS / iPadOS
  7. Linux

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
ProtonVPN vs Windscribe, what vendors paid subscription/plan would You prefer? Not the free options! Cast your vote and if you like also try to explain why.

No hi-jacking with other vendors tests, plans/subscriptions etc as that will be deleted. Open another thread or search for other ones instead.

2023-06-10_12-09-49.png

2023-06-10_12-10-23.png

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I've had the full Proton paid suite for several years and I'm very happy.

However, I recently returned to using Safari after zero DDG innovation over recent times, so I use Apple's Private Relay mostly for browsing. Proton the rest of the time.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I am trying out both right now, however, it is the free versions so if my comments are irrelevant feel free to delete.

Proton seems a bit slicker and speeds are slightly faster than Windscribe. One day I may go all in on Proton, mail, vpn, cloud storage and password manager.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

My account shows that I've been a Windscribe user since 2016. I upgraded my free-lifetime account to lifetime-pro in 2017. Windscribe has been great for all my browsing and streaming needs over the years. I recently purchased another lifetime VPN that I tested and enjoyed.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
In my opinion, Windscribe stands out as a reliable option in the VPN market thanks to their transparent approach. They don't use misleading marketing techniques like claiming to offer "military-grade encryption" which ultimately has little impact on the user.

A recent blog post that facilitates that: Transparency at Windscribe

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I keep a Windscribe account mainly for use to watch Flix USA/Canada though recently they are becoming much as UK version though was handy to watch Grand-Prix on Sky while away - Not fond of the GUI on a 4K monitor, very cramped - I've never used Proton but as it's much liked on here might give it a go

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Pricewise - Windscribe as you can still find liftime Pro on Stacksocial. I bought it in 2016 or 17 and it's still working like a charm, plus you can get 50% discount for ControlD if you have paid VPN subscription.
Speedwise - Proton. I've used it for about a 6 months and waaaay faster and more stable than Windscribe.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I used to be a huge Windscribe fan and recommended them for a giveaway here which MT then provided. Not any more though. Firstly it was the change in attitude of the founder, Yegor, I didn't like. In the early days his support was excellent, but then I guess success went to his head. He would go off on highly offensive, expletive ridden rants with anyone who disagreed with him, or even just asked him questions he thought were beneath him. The final straw was reneging on the free 'lifetime' 50Gb a month. So Proton for me.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Most VPNs have a reactive approach to leaks or connection drops. Windscribe's firewall is proactive and provides superior protection for privacy and security. Windscribe, IVPN, and AirVPN are among the few VPNs that have proactive firewall measures.

Xciting

Level 2
Jun 14, 2023
I prefer proton vpn since the price is cheaper and there is more technology inside it like the vpn accelerator (i think thats the name, not 100% sure though) and its swiss laws prove it doesn't log data but with windscribe, they haven't gone through audits or have real proof for no log policy yet (not 100% sure though)

Reactions: cartaphilus

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
ProtonVPN vs Windscribe, what vendors paid subscription/plan would You prefer? Not the free options! Cast your vote and if you like also try to explain why.

No hi-jacking with other vendors tests, plans/subscriptions etc as that will be deleted. Open another thread or search for other ones instead.

View attachment 276049

View attachment 276050
Honestly I got windscribe lifetime lic when it first launched. They used to have lifetime for $39 and I got onto that boat however I never use it when doing anything sensitive like buying items or writing emails. I do not trust the vendor and their affiliations.

Thus given those two choices I chose ProtonVPN since Proton has long time proven discretion in their email system thus it goes to reason that same can be said about their VPN.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Honestly I got windscribe lifetime lic when it first launched. They used to have lifetime for $39 and I got onto that boat however I never use it when doing anything sensitive like buying items or writing emails. I do not trust the vendor and their affiliations.
I have had a lifetime license for Windscribe since 2017. It's my go-to VPN for security and privacy tasks. Why don’t you trust the vendor, and what are their affiliations? Windscribe is a reliable and excellent service. The software is neat, and its firewall approach is proactive, which is superior to the reactive leak protection in most VPNs.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I have connection issues with proton vpn free. It won't let me open any webpage or download anything(plus it takes forever to connect). Windscribe don't have any of these issues so no I vote for windscribe.
Have you tried change the protocol?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.