Assigned Proxy server as malware?

This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RVS2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
I'm using Norton Deluxe right now but ran a Zemana scan anyway. It found a suspicious object ... Hkcu/windows/current/proxyserver/8080 (the path was longer; this is what I remember), and had to be deleted.
Since I'd already scanned with norton power eraser which didn't find problems, was this 'proxy server' a false positive or more?

W

Wave

The registry key itself isn't malware, but maybe it was abused by malware - just resolve it with Zemana if you can, but make sure you backup your Registry prior to repairing. ;)

Reactions: Dirk41

Wingman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
Could you provide the exact path?Zemana *should* have this in the scan logs.

It might be the case that you had proxy configured at some point as the path to that would be similar (HKCU\software\Microsoft\Windows\currentVersion\InternetSettings\proxyserver) ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wave
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.