Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
With Windows 10’s launch just around the corner, not to mention the release of the RTM build to Insiders, some might decide that now’s the time for a clean install. But Microsoft is warning users against that.

As build 10240 represents the build that will be distributed to OEMs and partners, albeit without some updates that are coming soon, many enthusiasts might think this would be a good time to do a clean install ahead of the official launch. But Microsoft is cautioning people to not do that, because they might lose their activation.

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.07.16_11h06m53s_001_.png

The Windows team has pulled all the Insider builds as well as their ISOs and is only allowing upgrades to Windows 10 10240 via Windows Update. This is specifically designed to stress-test Microsoft’s systems ahead of the official release later this month. But this also means that activating any of the previous builds no longer works.

In other words if you were thinking you might do a clean install on a device like the Surface 3, this isn’t a good time. Your only option would be updating from an existing Insider build that’s already activated.

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.07.16_11h07m16s_002_.png

Either that, or, as Microsoft recommends, simply wait a couple more weeks until Windows 10 officially goes out to all users and then you’ll be getting the final bits, as well as any updates that will be pushed in the meantime.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
As for me I am not going to install it before July 29th :) Currently I run Windows 7 pro and satisfied with it. I didn't like windows 8.1.... will try windows 10 then.......
I won't be updating until the 29th either and only my Windows 8.1 installations. I fortunately have a couple dual boot machines with Windows 7 & 8.1 on different HDD's. I still use Windows 7 on most except a newer laptop I purchased at the end of 2014 which came with Windows 8.I don't see any rush to update to Windows 10 prior to the 29th when the upgrade will be offered.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I can confirm that activation on a clean install doesn't work, even if it accepts the key.

D

Deleted member 178

I can confirm that activation on a clean install doesn't work, even if it accepts the key.

it didn't even accept the key.

i heard you need to have an activated win8.1 then select "update" during install of 10240 and not "custom" , then the activation will be transferred.

Reactions: Exterminator

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well this method is for sure to determine the reliability of Windows 10 via upgrade especially its term and condition that should be meet. Just prepare your current ISO dev in such revert back.

D

Deleted member 178

if someone can test the method I described , will be useful , I wish I had a second USB , that is boring to make bootable usb, every time for each OS :D

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
No, not sure I want to risk borking my keys by putting them on different machines or activating too soon or whatever (I tested it on a new VM that has no key; I'll just keep using IPs on it). I expect launch to be a cluster of problems I'd like to avoid.

D

Deleted member 178

if you do a clean install of Win8.1.1 , it is (in a certain way :D )

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Satisfied with current 8,1, it's set the way I wanted so won't install 10 before 29th.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
But Microsoft doesn't have a time machine, so your Win 10 launch date will have slipped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.