Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If your computers are still running Windows 8.1, a friendly reminder: the operating system (OS) officially has only 30 days to live before it reaches its end-of-support date.

Released on October 17, 2013, Windows 8.1 was Microsoft's attempt to address user complaints with Windows 8, such as the lack of a Start button, a confusing user interface, and the inability to boot to the desktop. Windows 8.1 also introduced new enhancements, such as the ability to snap up to four apps on a single display, a new Bing-based unified search system, and deeper integration with SkyDrive (now OneDrive).

While the OS received more positive reception than Windows 8, it was still criticized for not addressing many of the latter's issues. To this day, Windows 8.1 has a 2.54% desktop market share worldwide.

On January 10, 2023, Microsoft will no longer provide Windows 8.1 with security patches, software updates, and technical support. If you continue using your PC past this date, it will keep on functioning as usual. However, any new vulnerabilities or security flaws discovered in Windows 8.1 will no longer be patched, leaving your PC at risk of malware, phishing, and other security threats. In fact, many ransomware groups exploit unpatched vulnerabilities to infiltrate systems.

You might also experience difficulties using some of your programs past Windows 8.1's end-of-support date. For instance, Microsoft 365 apps will no longer work on the OS after January 10, 2023. Microsoft will also block the installation of Microsoft 365 on Windows 8.1 devices. Even Google Chrome will no longer receive updates once Windows 8.1 goes out of support. While you can use other applications, their developers may discontinue support for Windows 8.1 anytime.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I beta tested 8 & was of the opinion it was an abomination & I never used it after testing. I also never used 8.1 which at the time was a lash up to attempt to fix 8 - The only Windows release i truly disliked.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Im planning to help him with the basics as i visit him during holidays several times i think. All he do is browse web, do online banking , watch videos just basic stuff..
No free upgrade to Windows 10/11?

You’ll waste more time switching to Linux and making it easier for him to use, when he’s likely to be used to the Windows Desktop.

Linux can be more painful to set up, plus how apps are updated are not always that simple. Depending on the age of the computer hardware, some things may take longer to get the package updates/installed.

Doubt he will care about the Weather and News icons in the taskbar, like most avid Windows users.

Reactions: upnorth

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
My dad still using 8.1...gotta visit him soonish so im about to ask if i convert his laptop to linux ..
EDIT. some linux distro is better way. My dad is in the same boat, and next year, I too will have to install linux on his computer.

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I think that would be fine because he only use a browser thats all obv if he have any problem so ask him to open a Teamviewer or Anydesk he can connect...
6ve7LgZ.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
PSA: Windows 8.1 extended support ends today
Microsoft's Windows 8.1 operating system (OS) has finally reached its end-of-support date after almost a decade.

As of today, January 10, 2023, the Redmond tech giant will no longer provide the OS with software updates, technical support, or security patches. You won't immediately notice anything different if you keep using the OS past this date. However, because the OS no longer receives security updates, your system will become more vulnerable to viruses, ransomware, and other security threats.

Also, if your PC encounters any issues, it will be difficult to get support without paying a premium. Finally, some programs may no longer work properly as some software manufacturers discontinue support for Windows 8.1.

Introduced back on October 17, 2013, Windows 8.1 was Microsoft's response to the many negative user complaints about Windows 8. It brought back the Start button (but not the menu), provided users with the ability to boot straight to the desktop instead of the Start Screen, and featured a Bing-based unified search system. Aside from these, Windows 8.1 also had a tighter integration with SkyDrive (now OneDrive), a transparent device encryption system based on BitLocker on compatible devices, and support for 3D printing.

According to Statcounter, 2.59% of PCs worldwide still run Windows 8.1 as of December 2022. If your PC is one of these, you can easily upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost using your current Windows 8.1 key. There's also the Windows 11 option, but it might be more difficult to take this route because of the OS's stringent system requirements. By upgrading to a more modern OS, you regain access to new features, security updates, and support.

Personally, I commend Microsoft for coming out with Windows 8.1. While it wasn't until Windows 10 that I believe Microsoft offered the best of both worlds for touch and traditional PC users, it was an admission from the Redmond giant that Windows 8 needed a lot of work. It also showed that the company remained committed to people still using a keyboard and mouse combination despite the OS having a touch-heavy interface.

To Windows 8.1, we bid you farewell.

sartic

Level 3
Jun 5, 2020
Exactly. Linux Mint is great for Windows users bu dont want to upgrade to 10 or 11. Pop! OS too is very user friendly.
It is even good to try if you can't upgrade to last Kubuntu jaja. Kubuntu messed good after 20.10 installer and has compatibility problems.
So I say good bye to Kubuntu and install Cinammon Mint. I like more KDE but longer support and no snaps was for me bonus. Staying on ubuntu core for now.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
It is even good to try if you can't upgrade to last Kubuntu jaja. Kubuntu messed good after 20.10 installer and has compatibility problems.
So I say good bye to Kubuntu and install Cinammon Mint. I like more KDE but longer support and no snaps was for me bonus. Staying on ubuntu core for now.
If you like KDE, you might want to give Feren OS or Nitrux a try.

Reactions: piquiteco

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.