Troubleshoot Public Network Unknown Television Connecting to Network Via My Wi-Fi Adapter

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Unknown television equipment connecting.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Google search
Here's the picture:

Unknown TV and Roxio Device.png

It's the television and Roxio device, which is think must be a smart remote. I can see the device model via the properties of the device so I know they are these:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-UN40MU6290-40-Inch-Ultra/dp/B074NFWYFQ

and

Roku

Says it's a streaming media player, but it must have some connection abilities. Anyone know the short way to put an end to this. Looks like someone (probably a neighbot) cracked the password here somehow, and I can get that resolved later, but I would like to stop the activity now if possible. The adapter device is one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N600-Wireless-Dual-Adapter/dp/B00BV85WJY

Here's the picture:

View attachment 197988

It's the television and Roxio device, which is think must be a smart remote. I can see the device model via the properties of the device so I know they are these:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-UN40MU6290-40-Inch-Ultra/dp/B074NFWYFQ

and

Roku

Says it's a streaming media player, but it must have some connection abilities. Anyone know the short way to put an end to this. Looks like someone (probably a neighbot) cracked the password here somehow, and I can get that resolved later, but I would like to stop the activity now if possible. The adapter device is one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N600-Wireless-Dual-Adapter/dp/B00BV85WJY

Based on the image, your firewall is set to Private profile with Network Discovery enabled. Switch it to Public profile.

And you're a resident of...

Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
It is public already, except in Comodo Firewall it is set up as a Home connection. Need to fix that so thanks. Set these identical PCs up a couple of months ago and just getting them set up for keeps now. Not sure where to start to reset the connections in Comodo so they are listed as public. The connection is off of a super high-power (bandwidth-wise) public connection point in a residential area. It's a brand new technology, but I haven't learned much about it to this point in time. It works, I will say that much...

Need information on Network Discovery. Does having it on change what can connect or what I can see? I didn't mention that I am using connection sharing, which I didn't realize could lead to this. So that's the hole I am sure. They are using my adapter to connect. However, is there a way I can connect through the wi-fi adapter and still use connection sharing (limit which devices can connect)? Can I do this with Comodo?

I'd rather not have to get another adapter just to avoid this kind of non-sense. They're using bandwidth I pay for as grose as that is in this day and time I know. I have more pictures of the settings, but everything was already correct in Windows on both computers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Think I might know how to do this for these single devices, but I suppose it could happen again. I'd like to set up some kind of limit to what can take advantage of connection sharing.

I guess the individual shut down the television, but when it's on in the properties I can see the MAC address and the IP of the device. The Roku stayed on, so I set a rule in Comodo under the profiles for the PC for the MAC address to be blocked. Maybe it worked. About 20 seconds later the Roku device was gone. I will see if the others show up again later and try the same thing.

Have some other ideas too. If I can determine how to get rid of the current network private profiles and create a public one (I know Comodo will ask if I can determine what to delete), then that may take care of the problem as mentioned. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Everything I found indicates this is just network discovery. What appears in the Network folder doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a local network or how any particular device is connected. In the folder other devices in the area broadcasting their network discovery are mixed in with local devices.

All sharing and remote access was off already, but Network Discovery was on. I prefer to have it on to have an idea of what in the area could request a connection...for knowledge and familiarity sake. Comodo would alert me, so it is good to know.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.