Purchased Kaspersky AV license

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KGBagent47

Thread author
From reading and watching security reviews (esp with this crowd) Kaspersky has become more and more appealing to me over the past year. So tonight while at Walmart I went and looked at the AVs for sale and decided spur of the moment to give Kaspersky AV a try. (1pc AV $30) I prefer in store purchases to avoid automatic renewal enrollment.

I removed my other security solutions and went to the download URL (case does not include a cd) which is a automatic download URL site for the latest version. Kasperky installed in less than 5min and there was no problem activating the license. My computer is very pedestrian but so far I've not noticed any dramatic slow down or high ram usage and the update went smoothly.

First impression in compared with Bitdefender which is the other traditional AV I've had a lot of experience with the software is much more optimized and there is a considerable greater amount of settings, which is a big plus in my book. Currently the settings are at default except I enabled protection for remote control.

My only question right now is, does Kaspersky update automatically to new year releases or do I need to do that manually? Thanks.

vags

Level 1
Verified
Jun 18, 2014
From reading and watching security reviews (esp with this crowd) Kaspersky has become more and more appealing to me over the past year. So tonight while at Walmart I went and looked at the AVs for sale and decided spur of the moment to give Kaspersky AV a try. (1pc AV $30) I prefer in store purchases to avoid automatic renewal enrollment.

I removed my other security solutions and went to the download URL (case does not include a cd) which is a automatic download URL site for the latest version. Kasperky installed in less than 5min and there was no problem activating the license. My computer is very pedestrian but so far I've not noticed any dramatic slow down or high ram usage and the update went smoothly.

First impression in compared with Bitdefender which is the other traditional AV I've had a lot of experience with the software is much more optimized and there is a considerable greater amount of settings, which is a big plus in my book. Currently the settings are at default except I enabled protection for remote control.

My only question right now is, does Kaspersky update automatically to new year releases or do I need to do that manually? Thanks.

The version patches updating automatically with virus database updates. When changing version you have to download the new version, uninstall the previous with not removing license data (the application asks you when uninstalling if you want to keep some data) and after you have to install the newer version. If you have any problem with uninstalling there is a tool at kaspersky page which doing the job. This is only when you have problem because it removes also license and if you activate it many times maybe after you can't activate it until you prove that you own the application, for this I advise you to keep the box and the paper with the serial because if you have activation problem they will ask you to scan them and send the files to them company.

K

KGBagent47

Thread author
It will auto update to the new version if a new version comes within your subscription period. You should have given your local Target a try, they have those on clearance around my area which is 60% off. KIS for 3 PC's $18

"KIS for 3 PC's $18" well that makes me feel smart. JK, I live two hours away from the nearest Target.

But I'm really happy it updates automatically to new year releases. Bitdefender (who I still like) makes you do all that manually.

K

KGBagent47

Thread author
Hi

Can check whether there's any anti-ransomware component with it and does it auto scan removable media?

Thanks
Don't see any standalone anti-ransomware component, but it does have Kaspersky security network enabled. And yes it does have all external devices listed under file anti virus protection scope. I just plugged in a flash drive and it immediately asked if I wanted to scan it.

vags

Level 1
Verified
Jun 18, 2014
Also if you want to backup your license you have to backup these registry keys

for x86 system

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\LicStrg\kav or kis (if you have kis installed)

for x64 system

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KasperskyLab\LicStrg\kav or kis (if you have kis installed)

If you have installed it with same serial to more than one machine any machine needs it's own backup

For older versions of kav or kis

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\protected\LicStrg\kav or kis
or
\LicStorage\kav or kis

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\KasperskyLab\protected\LicStrg\kav or kis
or
\LicStorage\kav or kis

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Don't see any standalone anti-ransomware component, but it does have Kaspersky security network enabled. And yes it does have all external devices listed under file anti virus protection scope. I just plugged in a flash drive and it immediately asked if I wanted to scan it.
OK thanks

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well anything that a product puchased from local, online or any legitimate provider will have eligiblity to have free updates.

Giveaways and Promo are based on terms and conditions.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
In KIS/KAV/KTS there is no special anti-ransomware module (except own "System Watcher" module), but for KIS/KTS (KAV does not have Application Control/HIPS) You can create a special protection categories to better protect files:

How to protect against file-encrypting malware in Kaspersky Internet Security 2016

Although it is for 2016, is still valid also for 2017, even You can even get stronger settings than proposed in that article, for instance, changing the restrictions for even Trusting applications...

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Where is the ransomware protection setting?
Opps I mistyped that - correction:

It does not have a Setting called "Ransomware Protection" Sorry :(

Kaspersky has lots of Protection components. Against Ransomware it would be the components like:

File AV - scans the files opened, saved or run
Application Control - monitors the activity of all applications installed
Firewall - filters network activity
Network Attack Blocker possibly - Protects from dangerous network activity
System Watcher - monitors & rolls back malware actions

John Jr.

Jan 3, 2017
Hi everybody,

I am using Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) on my laptop running under Windows XP Professional Sp3.

Please, I would like to ask if KIS is efficient enought to protect against all or most of all viruses and malwares and if an anti-malware should be installed to achieve a total protection ?
If yes, what would be this anti-malware ? Should it run along with KIS or should I use it only for scanning from time to time ?

Thanks.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Hi everybody,

I am using Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) on my laptop running under Windows XP Professional Sp3.

Please, I would like to ask if KIS is efficient enought to protect against all or most of all viruses and malwares and if an anti-malware should be installed to achieve a total protection ?
If yes, what would be this anti-malware ? Should it run along with KIS or should I use it only for scanning from time to time ?

Thanks.

First of all, if you want expert advice about your configuration you should open a thread in Security Configuation Wizard forum.

Secondly, Windows XP is outdated & unsupported. Finally, KIS is enough to protect you from most of the malwares in the wild.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.