omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
@omidomi suggest some vpn friend yeah VPN + TOR is very slow i have windscribe and see4.me vpns
Hi
The best choice is useing those vpns whom work Tor over vpn,But if you do sensitive work or live in dictatorship country its better to use Tor over vpn(!)
Trust which company?
1-trust vpn company that accepted cryptocurrency payment
2-don't trust those vpns who follow US Law
3-don't trust liar companies(its easy , many vpn companies show that they have server in country (x) so easily you can check your Ip in https://wimi.com
So if wimi show you country(z) yes the company lie to you!
4-check your vpn software dns leak in IP/DNS Detect
If your vpn software leak your dns its not good choice.
5-don't trust those vpn companies who their website same as walking dead(!),you don't understand their privacy law,under rules of which jurisdiction ,where is their HQ !?
All of this type of company was managed by bad guys.
Personally I just suggest CyberGhost and AirVpn.
ProtonVpn also have good voice to us.
and so perfect privacy.
It dose not mean that another one is bad ,we don't check them,but a group's of my friends hardly work on it (until one year),until now I guarantee that those four companies work honestly.
WindScribe is under our investigate .
But many famous VPN company was failed
Ivacy,Pure...

Last edited:

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I have no respect for these guys. After completing a no obligation free trial promoted by PureVPN I received a series of aggressive emails accusing me of delinquent payment. That is all too heavy-handed for my tastes. Now this. And wasn't it just two months ago we had a report that certain VPN's falsify point of origin on some of their access points. Guess who was included.
VPNs are Using Fake Server Locations | RestorePrivacy

Gee... what's not to like (n)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I have no respect for these guys. After completing a no obligation free trial promoted by PureVPN I received a series of aggressive emails accusing me of delinquent payment. That is all too heavy-handed for my tastes. Now this. And wasn't it just two months ago we had a report that certain VPN's falsify point of origin on some of their access points. Guess who was included.
VPNs are Using Fake Server Locations | RestorePrivacy

Gee... what's not to like (n)

Yes thanks a lot I mean this info.

Reactions: Weebarra
D

Deleted member 65228

I agree with privacy but I am also glad that they did share the logs because in this case it resulted in a victim who had been under distress who is now free to move on with her life, since the offender will be able to be charged now. If it wasn't for PureVPN, the victim/s would have to continue suffering due to the on-going criminal activity online.

As long as logs aren't shared on a regular basis (as in, there is actual reasons for the share such as a case like this or worse) and it isn't do third-parties who do not need it, but an agency working on a real case, then IMO it is okay. But I know many will disagree with my view.

Last Thursday, Ryan S. Lin, 24, of Newton, Massachusetts, was arrested on suspicion of conducting “an extensive cyberstalking campaign” against his former roommate, a 24-year-old Massachusetts woman, as well as her family members and friends.

According to the Department of Justice, Lin’s “multi-faceted campaign of computer hacking and cyberstalking” began in April 2016 when he began hacking into the victim’s online accounts, obtaining personal photographs, sensitive information about her medical and sexual histories, and other private details.

It’s alleged that after obtaining the above material, Lin distributed it to hundreds of others. It’s claimed he created fake online profiles showing the victim’s home address while soliciting sexual activity. This caused men to show up at her home.

Imagine how the victim felt, and it also said the victims family and friends were targeted. Imagine the confident reduce and emotional distress caused by the illegal actions... How would you feel if the victim was your own sister, daughter or wife? I bet you'd wish the VPN provider of the attacker handed over the logs then, if there was no other way to gain sufficient evidence for prosecution!

Lock up the attacker and throw away the key IMO.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Based on what I read, in a positive manner, it is good that a company is trying to help to eliminate cybercriminals.
But if we were to see in a negative manner, VPN company may not be as transparent as what we thought to be from these days onwards.

D

Deleted member 65228

Based on what I read, in a positive manner, it is good that a company is trying to help to eliminate cybercriminals.
But if we were to see in a negative manner, VPN company may not be as transparent as what we thought to be from these days onwards.
Yep I agree with that personally.

It is tough... We want privacy, but if we truly have 100% privacy then what happens to the criminals? Maybe nothing... :/

D

Deleted member 65228

@anajames That is exactly my thoughts my friend! :) I am so thankful I am not the only one with this POV... Was starting to think maybe I was going crazy in my own world with stupid thoughts ha ha ha!

I think that VPN should be used by people for privacy but the problem is it is abused by criminals who think they cannot be touched. Some of the things people do behind VPNs is atrocious... Look at this thread alone! Anyone who has read the actual court report about this will know how bad it was. The woman was terrified and could not move on with her life without this horrible man being locked up for the crimes he committed, and I doubt he'd have stopped unless he was caught. They should lock him up and throw away the key IMO

Her family was being targeted as well as herself. Why? She was an innocent woman trying to live her life peacefully and then she got all that drama for what? Nothing. Just because someone "felt" like it. That is totally wrong.

The offender likely has mental problems and should get treatment but at the same time he committed bad crimes and there is no "real" excuse. He has to suffer consequences, it isn't like what he did was "nothing". It was something and it affected the victim in a very traumatic way. It isn't like someone stealing a candy bar from a shop or a one-time insult, it was continuous aggravation and destruction against someone in a disgusting way

I actually like PureVPN more for what they did. It shows that people behind businesses still have a conscience over more business. Sure people may not use them more because they exposed the attacker but they did the world a favour because now there is one less bad guy out there. What if it was YOU who was the target? Your sister? Brother? Parents? What then? Would you still dislike them?? I don't think so. Anyone in that victims shoes would be begging PureVPN to expose the logs!

Just my POV of course I still respect everyone elses. I think privacy should be given but I think there is a line which when crossed should result in more drastic measures, like a company handing over the logs to benefit someones actual life. This would have escalated if the attacker wasn't caught. I see this as a victory... This was "early on" even if the attack was going on for a long time, because what next? Next the victim could have ended up injured a lot, or worse, dead... You don't know what these people are capable of. The entire thing was sick from the start, so who knows where it could have ended if it wasn't for PureVPN providing the evidence

D

Deleted member 65228

Privacy yes, Delinquency NO!:devil:
All of this also sends a message to the other bad guys out there that hiding behind a VPN will come to end one day. Wait for them to slip up and make a mistake, and exploit that vulnerability as leverage to catch them!

More people being caught by VPN providers exposing logs to government/police will lead to more becoming in fear who are criminals and may plummet down illegal activity on masked connections. At the same time it opens more opportunity for more secretive VPN services to enter the market share and make more money. So it goes both ways with GOOD and BAD.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.