Qihoo 360 Total Security - The Pro's and Con's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van2r

Level 1
Verified
Oct 14, 2013
Any software that connects to internet has questionable privacy policy. Refining this theory, it's not exactly the privacy policy that's questionable, it's what user's think of privacy that's questionable.

@Van2r
If you read EULA of all AVs (only ClamAV is the exception), you will notice that all AVs have "privacy issues". If you play games online you will send a lot of info about you the moment you log or update the game (it's the same story as with AVs).

Also, what @jackuars said is true :)
yes your ideas are right.
but the important thing here is that privacy policy is not a positive or negative point for me if its a questionable thing, how it can be good or bad?! it could be but looks like almost users decided to choose it as a bad negative point which shown that people have bad feeling about an eye watching over their moves and it is a totally right thing i believe.
it is more questionable than that to decide ! anyway i don't think websites and internet related thing are not from world of trust.
its all about money i just decided to stick with things that have less price and payments for me both in cash funds and my time...
for enjoying a game or music the time which mostly ruined by viruses and antiviruses although i never seriously felt to an infection still i spent too much time on many security programs... nothing can make me satisfy at this point.
before i write this post i had free version of avira, for no good reason it's service host processes started to jump up and down in both ram and cpu usage which negatively affected my gaming experience in an offline game...and now its gone:D:cool: i'm glad it wasn't an online game !

Reactions: Der.Reisende
L

LabZero

I have given a negative point about the privacy policy of Qihoo which is well documented and in this thread we are talking about Qihoo.
Recent are the news about AVG that sells data (only the free version) and this problem, of course, concerns many other antivirus companies.

We try then to clarify.

The privacy violation occurs by assigning to your computer a unique ID number that is shared to the antivirus company in question.
They collected the addresses of the websites visited by the user. Some of these are malicious, others AV even those not harmful. Also taking advantage of the unique identification number assigned to the computer by antivirus company is likely to derive a user's internet browsing history for that computer.
Some of the antivirus send the company information such as the name of the user's computer, the name of the Windows user, the language, processes and programs.
When the antivirus detects a suspicious file, sends it to the company and It's examined to verify the presence of malware. This is "normal" behavior but apparently is not limited only to executable files but any other type of file, then the antivirus may signal the company even personal files as sensitive documents, pictures and anything else.

Antivirus companies theoretically collect all of this data in order to provide greater protection to their customers. The problem however is that users have no knowledge of such behavior as on the official website of antivirus programs concerned are not given this information, so the user has no way to know and decide (perhaps by adjusting the settings of the software) which data to share with these companies.

Consider the fact that this tracking happens silently in the background without the user's control, especially if such data was sent not encrypted because they might run the risk of being intercepted.
As regards this point, some antivirus companies say that this information is sent separately to multiple centres (not passed on in one place), therefore this data cannot be linked to track the end user for which so privacy should thus be safeguarded.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From various combination of observation and practical reasons...

Qihoo definitely contains cloud, + 2 license engine + lots of bundled cleaning tools where some users may found convincing but majority isn't it.

Sandbox and HIPS should be consider to look upon by many users who use this product since the effectiveness isn't widely observed at all.

In the case of privacy policy issues, we should consider that are within in-related for product improvements + statistics and yet does not provide serious issue at all. Yes considering that Qihoo as background on advertising but does not justify very much to make the product worse cause its an isolated issue as always.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Cons : multi-engine, signature engines are pointless those days...one is enough...
Also if the engines are not enabled the computer basically has 0 protection when it's not connected to the internet :p

I find that the other 2 engines are only useful if you want to ensure that in an area where internet connections are a little weak or non existent that your computer has a least the minimal level of protection.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I used this product for some time in 2015. I agree with the Pros. Cons: sometimes the malware and phishing web-blocker arrives late, and it lets you download the malware (which will be blocked by quihoo shields) or access a phishing page for some time

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

For example, if you disable cloud and test BD engine alone, the results are inferior than emsisoft (b) engine (bitdefender).

The engine they integrate on 360 is a bit useless

The BD engine they use is always yesterdays, meaning BD don't allow them to use there up-to date signatures in there product, Avira's is always up-to date :)

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

I used this product for some time in 2015. I agree with the Pros. Cons: sometimes the malware and phishing web-blocker arrives late, and it lets you download the malware (which will be blocked by quihoo shields) or access a phishing page for some time
Does the Web Blocking work in MS Edge?

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
The BD engine they use is always yesterdays, meaning BD don't allow them to use there up-to date signatures in there product, Avira's is always up-to date :)
If you take a closer look in folder program files x86 -> 360\Total Security\deepscan\SDEng/savapi (sort of)
the Vdf files from avira are not always up-to-date ! sometimes is several days begind.
BD and Avira are good for offline protection ...

nemo183

Apr 30, 2016
If you take a closer look in folder program files x86 -> 360\Total Security\deepscan\SDEng/savapi (sort of)
the Vdf files from avira are not always up-to-date ! sometimes is several days begind.
BD and Avira are good for offline protection ...

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I'm not overly keen on the cleaning part. I found it nagged me all the time to do a clean even when i used C Cleaner.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Really privacy policy is a big issue but NSA has been tracking everything from years so it doesn't make a difference but Qihoo is completely depended on its signature and behavior blocker which seems to be completely depended on its cloud so at time of no internet connection it wouldn't be performing that great which it has been performing in the tests now a days.

There speed up tools are just crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.