Status
Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Glasswire is an excellent network monitor and firewall.

But I don't understand how in the world has Glasswire been incorporated in Qihoo TS. It runs as a separate program just like downloading and running the stand-alone version of Glasswire. All what Qihoo has done is to include the "download link (Firewall icon)" in the UI.

Not impressed at all!

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
What would you have it do instead?

Probably they should have bought the program and the dev's working on it and make it integrated inside Qihoo like the Sandbox component or like the Firewall of most other Internet Security softwares.

I already run Qihoo and Glasswire so I don't see anything new here.

Reactions: nissimezra

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Oh Heavens no; why waste development on making a simple process complex and add unnecessary bloat?

Besides, buying a license costs money--generally not a good idea for a free product; having a marketing partnership and getting a commission from it generates revenue--a great idea for a free product. Well, two free products.

LuciferSam

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2014
So, i've tried this Glasswire Firewall "free" and it is pretty useless since:
- it uses Windows Firewall which is pretty under powered than other products and it's pretty easy to destroy its service
- it shows only warnings without doing nothing (arp poisoning, edits on hosts file, ...)
- you can only click on "fire icon" to block a program
maybe if you are a (l)user it's ok because of the point-and-drool interface , but otherwise why I should use it?

Reactions: marg and Oxygen

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
So, i've tried this Glasswire Firewall "free" and it is pretty useless since:
- it uses Windows Firewall which is pretty under powered than other products and it's pretty easy to destroy its service
- it shows only warnings without doing nothing (arp poisoning, edits on hosts file, ...)
- you can only click on "fire icon" to block a program
maybe if you are a (l)user it's ok because of the point-and-drool interface , but otherwise why I should use it?

It's mostly a network monitor than a firewall, and is excellent at that. It gives you extremely detailed graphs and information with respect to that.

Reactions: Rolo

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
My favourite Doctor, too, heh

it uses Windows Firewall which is pretty under powered than other products and it's pretty easy to destroy its service
How so? 'cos that's right up there with "we only use 10% of our brain" (though some do seem to set out to quantify that misbelief) :)
If your Windows Firewall "got destroyed" then I think it's a safe assumption that Windows Everything Else can "get destroyed" too.

it shows only warnings without doing nothing (arp poisoning, edits on hosts file, ...)
Which is nice. The paid product will let you micromanage these things if you want.

why I should use it?
Not everyone wants to micromanage every connection in the very, very slim chance something goes wrong. It gives indicators in case there is a problem, for which most of the time there isn't a problem.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@LuciferSam :

1) Glasswire is design to be simple as much as possible with little effort on manual blocking the apps (in short manual firewall).
2)
Yes it design to enhance more protection on Windows Firewall with your user preference configuration
3) Sometimes novice or even advance users want something simplified setup with their own control.

You have the right to change to full blown 3rd party program which are robust and complex configuration like from Comodo. ;)

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
The only things I am getting are... application info has changed & internet access changed. I have no clue what these mean.?? I never get a popup alert to block anything..!!! It seems pretty useless if its only monitoring & not blocking anything.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Dear User,

What do you want? You didn't bother to read the help with the program or the product brochure.

https://www.glasswire.com/userguide/#Alerts_Tab

and, from the home page linked in post #52:
connect_left.png

Looks like a prompt to block to me...

Sincerely,
Rolo
Savvy Guru Who Needs That Guy To Deal With The Customers So He Doesn't Have To

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.