Dec 27, 2014
Last edited:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Now that's what a call a proper review - not just a few lines saying very little about the product, other than 'ooh it's quite nice, blah, blah blah'.

Thanks for taking the time to write this very comprehensive review and sharing your experiences.

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Can you further explain this 2 if you have time?
Yes, for sure! Thank you for your interest!

*Shady file analysis: They send the same worded SUD report at about 4 AM (UTC+1) the day after you send them files to analyze (if you SUD on Fridays or over the weekend, report will be sent on Monday).
However, back in time I wrote this report, I checked SUDed files on the day I received the report, and there was no detection, even not after 2 days after sending the files. I cannot tell how long it takes for the signatures to take effect, some user once wrote 1-2 days?
This week I checked SUDed files, in the afternoon nothing, then somewhen in the evening I had signatures for a bunch of files.
I now put all files together in one archive to SUD, as single files did usually (chance 80%+) result in the same text back in the days.
IMG_0144.PNG

*Product upgrades: Take a look at the changelog. Sometimes, they fix important things like the Autostart protection against Ransomware (@cruelsister once made a vid about that, 2 weeks or so later they had a fix for it thanks to her). The time I wrote the review, users had to manually start the upgrade for receiving new product versions. Signature update (twice a day if I'm not mistaken, relies on cloud a lot) happens automatically, after some time being idle.
I had a look at a friends PC not long ago, and manually upgraded it to the current v8.8.0.1080. Having not used Q360 TS for quite some time, I cannot tell u whether Qihoo has fixed that issue (I think it is, as most users will rely on automatics). They've never replied me regarding that.

I plan to switch to CIS Pro 8 soon, after some lookup how the programme works, hope to not upset to many. It mainly has to do with wanting to try out something new, never tested yet. Also I feel not as familiar with Q360 TS I used to, I miss some good old times. Not wanting to start another war, that's enough reasons.

EDIT: Screenshot of SUD report added

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
1. Yeah this seems weird.
2. I just tried the program a few days ago so i couldn't check on my own because i have latest and no new update yet. Will try to remember and check the vm when they update the program.

Thanks for all the info and hopefully CIS works well for you. If it does it's solid protection.

M

MiserableHumanBeing

Excellent review. I also noticed the behavior of allowing chinese crapware, and considering the fact that most of the PUPs/crapware comes from the China/Japan region, this is a very big problem. I would not recommend this program, even if you're getting BD's engine, Avira's engine, and an actual zero-day component, the downsides are very very serious.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
1. Yeah this seems weird.
2. I just tried the program a few days ago so i couldn't check on my own because i have latest and no new update yet. Will try to remember and check the vm when they update the program.

Thanks for all the info and hopefully CIS works well for you. If it does it's solid protection.
Excellent review. I also noticed the behavior of allowing chinese crapware, and considering the fact that most of the PUPs/crapware comes from the China/Japan region, this is a very big problem. I would not recommend this program, even if you're getting BD's engine, Avira's engine, and an actual zero-day component, the downsides are very very serious.
Thank you for your feedback guys :) Highly appreciated! Thank you for reading!

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
If you are going to switch to Comodo, you are better off with Comodo Firewall over CIS. The difference is just that CIS has the local AV scanner, and Comodo's AV definitions are less than optimal. You'll still have the AV Cloud detection (on access) with CF, so you really won't be missing anything of great value by using this instead of CIS.

About Qihoo- remember that its strength is the behavioral detection in the absence of anyone having a definition for a given piece of malware.

And, Oh Yeah- You write a really nice review! Thank you for the time and obvious research that you put into it!!!!

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thank you very much for your input @cruelsister, highly appreciated:)

It's hard to switch, I'm more than tempted to let Qihoo 360 TS run on my main machine just to see it's progress :)
I will need some days to get a first glance on Comodo, till then I will try out the new release of Q360 TS :) I'm really missing a firewall (have been poisened by the last suite I used :rolleyes:). Bundling Q360 TS with the CF would probably be cheating, as it really has awesome HIPS, missing some malware types (stealers, process hijackers) regularly unfortunately (I know Q is for sure not the only one).

It's a pleasure to see so many people liking this review, which was big fun to write, and now you commenting it and liking it makes me kinda proud (I'm a fan of your reviews) :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.