Advice Request Question about K9 Web Protection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes, you can use it with Kaspersky, if you want to. I have tried it.
K9 is not very modern, but it works, and it is supported. I know technically savvy people who use it and rely on it.

An advantage to K9 is that it will automatically apply its settings to all user accounts. But Kaspersky is on a per-user-account basis. Also, with K9 you will automatically have password protection, although that is not very hard to set up in Kaspersky.

An advantage to Kaspersky is that it is more modern, thus it can scan inside secure connections (HTTPS sites). K9 can prevent you from going to the site, but if you do go to a seemingly clean site, it won't see what else you are doing in there.

I have found that each parental control app that I have tried will have both FPs, and things that it should have blocked but didn't. Also, behavior is not always consistent.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017

Didie Farhan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 3, 2015

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I used it on Windows 10 w/Creators Update.
Seemed to work fine.

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
k9 web protection + Windows Defender + VoodooShiled is a good combo? On this desktop I am testing BitDefender Free + Voodoo Shield

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
k9 web protection + Windows Defender + VoodooShiled is a good combo? On this desktop I am testing BitDefender Free + Voodoo Shield
K9 will work with Windows Defender + VoodooShield . But don't rely on K9 for web security. It will filter out inappropriate content like a pro, but for security protection from bad sites you should use something else, such as Bitdefender TrafficLight browser extension, for instance. That is just one possibility for browser protection, there are others, but K9 is not a leader in security.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
According to Softpedia k9 got an update on Jan 7th, 2019
I notified Softpedia, that it is still being updated :emoji_innocent:, since the last update was like from 2013 and the more people use it, the better for its future. I used it at the same time and it is still the same old. If they would only improve the GUI and made exceptions to stick, it would be great. :unsure:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
If you have knowledge on App Whitelisting with VoodooShield in terms of knowing processes and understanding legitimate software from malware via VDS notification, this setup for security is good (k9 web protection + Windows Defender + VoodooShield). In addition you could add Syshardener as well for OS Hardening.

VoodooShield is only as good as it's end user.

~LDogg

Reactions: ZeroDay

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
For parental control its very good indeed, on system level it even filters discord, skype etc.

But for me it causes disconnections from game, i was kind of hyped since i thought they have done major update there, but when checking their blog, etc. i cant see any change log anywhere and not sure if i should give it a try

Edit: nvm did read the changelog from 2013, its just reupload or something

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Was looking over the blue coat site and wondering if Symantec ever did anything with it?

"
Symantec Acquires Blue Coat

Effective August 1, 2016, Blue Coat Systems, Inc. was acquired by Symantec Corporation. The combined company is in a strong leadership position to define the future of cybersecurity and set the pace for innovation industrywide."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.