Question: about websites access to the browser cache ?

Yon Timash

Thread author
May 11, 2014
My question relates to web beacons (or any other name they are called) and browser cache.
Is there any way for a website to track you through your cache ?
OR in other words: Can a website know you have a element on it's page simply by the fact that it is in your cache and is not downloaded again from it ?

An example of what I mean in regards to web beacons would be:
A site has a clear gif which is downloaded to the browser cache. If I visit another website and my IP has been switched and the cookies have been deleted, can this second website "conclude" that I visited the other site cause I still have that gif file in the cache.
I am assuming that these gif files can be unique in the sense that their name is generated by some script.

I hope I explained it properly.
(I just wanted to add that I know that tracking is usually done by third party connection on websites, but I find that irrelevant to my current question)

Appreciate you help in enlightening me on this matter.

Last edited:

LastLight

Jun 1, 2014
i would imagine that would be handled at the browser/os level and the site would have nothing to do with data caching. 2c

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.