Question about Windows 8 firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Hi guys,

I was using Vipre Internet Security 2014. However since I play a lot of games I decided to go with something lighter and more suitable for gaming. Therefore, I am using 360 Internet Security and Windows Firewall. I do not like Windows Defender or I would of used that as well. I reset the Windows Firewall rules back to the defaults. Is there anything else I need to do? I have never used Windows Firewall before. I have always used programs like Comodo IS etc. Is it just set it and forget it type of deal? I only need to touch it in the event of a popup?

Thanks,
Rocky

Reactions: Ink

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Here a video which should explain everything.

Most of the time you will not have to configure settings, when a program tries to connect you just unblock it, if it is some unknown program then don't allow it to connect.

Basically just set it and forget it, you will have better online gaming experiences usually Windows Firewall.
Just only download files from trusted sources and never allow anything on UAC prompts that you don't know for sure is safe.You should be protected.

Enjoy!! :D

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Thx a lot Littlebits I greatly appreciate it. What about Windows Firewall Notifier? Would you recommend a program like that? Is it easy to use? I am pretty good at accepting the correct firewall rules and know the difference between good and bad programs. However, some firewalls ask things in a difficult way. Is Windows Firewall Notifier pretty basic? Like does it just ask if you want to allow or block a program pretty much?

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Thx a lot Littlebits I greatly appreciate it. What about Windows Firewall Notifier? Would you recommend a program like that? Is it easy to use? I am pretty good at accepting the correct firewall rules and know the difference between good and bad programs. However, some firewalls ask things in a difficult way. Is Windows Firewall Notifier pretty basic? Like does it just ask if you want to allow or block a program pretty much?

Windows Firewall Notifier is an excellent portable add-on for Windows Firewall. Until you get it trained it will display notifications for every connection. It is basic and simple to use but if you do have problems with it you can simply delete its folder and there will be no traces left, you don't have to worry about uninstalling it or it messing up your network connection settings. It adds some classic features offered by third-party firewalls without the problems that users usually experience. So go ahead and try it, you don't have much to loose and maybe something to gain. The only problems that I have had with it before is when you run an online installer for a program, it will mess it up big time. You can temporary close it when you run a trusted online installer for a program.

What I don't like about it, it doesn't have a digital certificate because UAC will always warn you when running it. You can't close it to taskbar tray, you have to just minimize it, clicking the red X shuts down the program and you can set it to start with Windows, you have to manually start it each time. Besides what I mentioned, it is an excellent tool.

Reactions: grimreaper1014

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Thanks again for your reply I really appreciate your detailed response. Do you happen to know if there is similar software that might be a better fit, or one you liked a little better? I just like the option to control all my traffic and I am not good enough to create advanced rules by myself. Plus it seams like it could be really time consuming as well. I appreciate all your help. Thanks again.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Thanks again for your reply I really appreciate your detailed response. Do you happen to know if there is similar software that might be a better fit, or one you liked a little better? I just like the option to control all my traffic and I am not good enough to create advanced rules by myself. Plus it seams like it could be really time consuming as well. I appreciate all your help. Thanks again.

There are two more options worth mentioning but they have issues, when launching a program at its first connection attempt is blocked even if you select to allow until the rules are created, so you have to exit the program trying to connect and restart it each time. For myself this is too annoying. However you can give them a try for yourself: Both have free limited versions.
BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control
Sphinx Windows Firewall Control

You could also try ZoneAlarm Free Firewall, it is still an excellent firewall but it also has issues. On some systems it runs excellent and other systems it can make them run slow. The online installer is horrible, the worst part about the program be prepare to wait patiently when it takes its time to install and sometime fails which requires a system reboot and run the installer again . But if you can get it successfully installed without problems then it is worth a try. The best part about ZoneAlarm is it has Application Control without HIPS because it is not likely to conflict with other programs or have compatibility issues.

I have basically gave up on using third-party firewalls because they always have some kind of problem or other.
I just use Windows Firewall now and I never have any problems.

Reactions: grimreaper1014
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.